delete a user

Terry Holland June 9, 2021

I have an account on Jira and I have org and site admin for our organisation.  I set up the org with one email address, lets say me@olddomain.com, and I wanted to change the email address to a new address, lets say me@newdomain.com.  Initially I was not able to find how to do this so I invited a user, using the email address me@newdomain.com.  I logged in as me@newdomain.com and now on my project I have two accounts for me, me@oldDOmain.com and me@newdomain.com.  I have subsequently found how to change the email address of me@olddomain.com to me@newdomain.com but the system will not allow me to do this with the following message

Your email change request could not be processed because me@newdomain.com is already associated with another Atlassian account.

I want to delete the me@newdomain.com account completely, and change the email address of my original account to me@newdomain.com but Im not finding this easy.

The new account has no issues associated and has done nothing in Jira except accept logged and and accept the invitation.

I have actually done this with 2 accounts.  Help appreciated

1 answer

0 votes
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 11, 2021

Hello Terry,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

When an email is already associated with an Atlassian account, it will not be possible to use it for another Atlassian account, that’s why you are receiving this error. 

To change the email of your Atlassian account it will be necessary to use an email that doesn’t have an Atlassian ID. 

To delete an account, you need to access https://id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/account-preferences with me@newdomain.com and delete it, but it will take 14 days for the account to be completely deleted.

There is a workaround for that, so you don't need to wait for 14 days. Please, follow the steps below:

1. Create a test email that you will use only once, for example, test.temp@domain.com. This email must not have an Atlassian account, that's why it's important if it's a brand new email, you can create on gmail, outlook, yahoo.
  2. Go to id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email. Remember that you need to log in using the me@newdomain.com account, the one that you need to free to be used.
  3. After logging in with me@newdomain.com, change the email to test.temp@domain.com.
  4. Go to test.temp@domain.com inbox and confirm the change.
  5. The email you need (me@newdomain.com) is now free to be used since is not linked to an Atlassian account anymore.
  6. Now, go to id.atlassian.com/manage-profile/email logged with the me@olddomain.com email and change it to the me@newdomain.com.
  7. Go to the email to confirm the change.

Please, give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events