copy field from epic to child issue

Sai kiran P March 23, 2021

Hi Experts,

I have to custom field with the value in EPIC. i want to copy the custom field value from epic to child issues when tickets created.

I have tried with JMWE but no luck, can someone suggest a way to solve this.

I have JMWE and Script runner add-ons.

Thanks in advance

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 23, 2021

Hi @Sai kiran P ,

you can achieve this by adding to the Create transition a Copy field value from linked issues post-function, selecting the field to copy and "belongs to Epic" as the Issue Link Type:

image.png

Sai kiran P March 23, 2021

Hi @David Fischer 

Thanks, man it worked, I tried this before but Issue link type I have selected the wrong value.

coskunt1 August 13, 2021

Very cool. However, if I understand that right, that copies field values of the parent epic to the child issue, while the child issue is the triggering issue. That means, for each child I need to repeat it?

If so, is there also a possibility to propagate field values from the epic to ALL its child-tasks?

David Fischer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2021

@coskunt1 it depends on when you want to propagate the field value. During a transition of the Epic, or when the field is edited on the Epic, even outside of a transition?

If the latter, then you want to have a look at Event-based Actions.

Suggest an answer