can you use an epic across projects (next-gen and/or normal software)

Thomas Winkler February 8, 2021

I created two boards.

A nexxt gen project and a classic software project as separated boards in JIRA.

I would now like to combine an epic from the next gen project with a task / story from the classic software project board as a superordinate story, but without a link.

I can store this within a next project.
But I can't get it between the two boards. In the classic software project, he does not find the epic in the selection from the next gen project.

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Hi Thomas - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I  don't think you are going to be able to do that. Next-gen projects use a different method than the Epic Link field to actually link a Next-gen Epic to stories/tasks on that same project. 

You might be able to create some type of linkage using the Linked Issues field,

Thomas Winkler February 8, 2021

okay, thank you for the quickly information.

it's a pity that this is not possible - it should be a minor matter.
but this means that you cannot use this for swimlanes and other reports - there is also no reference to this according to another community entry

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2021

Each Next-gen project is by design setup to be independent of all other projects.  That's really what it is all about.

If you need to connect issues between projects, you need to make them Classic Software projects. 

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events