can portal only users see and select people in user-picker fields on requests/forms?

ian June 9, 2022

Hello. Our portal only users are unable to see and choose people in user-picker fields whether custom field or form field. I have granted browse permission to the portal users group but it has made no difference.

We use JSM internally and all users are automatically provisioned from Azure AD. As such they have Atlassian Access accounts but only our support team have JSM product access. These agents are able to see and select users in user-picker fields. 

I'm suspecting that this is by design but have not been able to find anything that explicitly states this. Therefore the reason for this question. Please let me know if it should be possible and I will keep looking. 

I have also raised a support request. 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

Hi @ian 

Portal users have nothing to do with browse project permissions. This will not solve your problem. It's all about your JSM setup and the permissions you've given to your customers:

permissions customer.png

If you have your customers in your JSM project separated with Organizations, then I would most likely choose the first option. If you have them all in one place (with no organization), then I would go with the 3rd option. However, the 3rd option will grant visibility to all customers.

Let me know if that helps.

Alex

ian June 10, 2022

Thanks very much @Alex Koxaras _Relational_. We are not using organizations so I selected the 3rd option and it is working for my test user.

Thanks again.

Ian. 

Like # people like this
1 vote
Steven Schouppe
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2022

Hi @ian 

As far as I know, your portal users can only select people in a user picker if those people have at least customer permission on this project.

For example:

A = portal user
B = another user

A can only select B in the user picker if B has at least customer permission on the project.

Cheers,
Steven

ian June 10, 2022

Thanks for the explanation @Steven Schouppe. I was thinking that 'organization' in this context was more generic and simply referring to the organization running JSM (us) rather than the 'organization' feature used in JSM to enable support of customers from multiple organizations.

Thanks again.

Ian.

Suggest an answer