automatically decrease remaining story point before issue completion

Christophe Schmitz December 23, 2014

Hi there!

I am using JIRA Agile Simplified Workflow with 4 columns / status:

To do - In progress - To check - Done

The "To check" columns is used so that someone else has to quickly check the work before moving it to "Done". Of course, Done is the column with the 'set resolution' box.

I would like that the burndown chart reflects better the fact that when an issue is in the "To check" column, 80% of the issue is done. So if the issue is worth 10 story points, I would like to see it as 2 story points remaining once it hit the "To check" column

Is that possible?

PS: I am really impressed by JIRA / Confluence! So much possibilities, yet it is really intuitive, and I managed to configure it without hassle, and everytime I am looking to try new things with it. Congratulation Atlassians!

3 answers

2 votes
Jose Raupp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 24, 2014

Hey Christophe,

Glad to hear you're having such a good experience with Atlassian products.

Unfortunately it is not possible to reflect partial work on stories using story points. The exception to this case would be splitting stories in sub-tasks, and completing them would add the story points to the main task (story) and update the burndown chart as you would like (however, the subtasks would be completed).

Another alternative to achieve what you want is to configure estimation using time (Original Time Estimate) instead of story points. This way, after configuring the 'Time Tracking' option as 'Remaining Estimate and Time Spent' on the Board Estimation settings, once work is logged into an issue in progress, the burndown chart will be updated accordingly. You may find more details about how to change these settings on the following document:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AGILE/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking#ConfiguringEstimationandTracking-SettingtheEstimationStatistic

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Jose Raupp

0 votes
Christophe Schmitz January 6, 2015

I switched from story point to time tracking. Unfortunatly, it does not address my request, as time estimate have to be entered manually when a task moves across various stages.

Thank you anyway for your help!

Christophe

0 votes
Christophe Schmitz January 3, 2015

Hi Jose,

Thanks for your answer, I will give the Original Time Estimate a try and see if it fits my workflow! I will report on that later.

Cheers,

Christophe

Suggest an answer