assingn groups to issues in a next-gen project

M. Borrias April 11, 2019

i want to assign 2 users to 1 issue so i created a group wich  contains the 2 users.

i then  added the to a permission scheme there i added the group to the Assignable User permissions.

i added the group as well to the users of the project.

but when i want to assign it to an issue  i cant find the group.

i've read trough the documentation, but info provided there doesnt seem to work for next gen projects.

thx in advance

with kind regads Marijn

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 12, 2019

Hello Borrias,

Welcome to Atlassian community.

The assignee field of an issue is a User picker field, so it is expected that you should not be able to add any groups to it, but only single users.

This limitation is not appearing only on next-gen projects but also in any kind of projects of JIRA. 

That been said, there are some options that you can use to add multiple assignees to issues:

1 - Managing Issues via a Queue

You can configure your JIRA project to assign issues to an 'Unassigned' "queue" by default, which your users can then pick issues from.

2 - Managing Issues via Group Ownership

You can add a custom field to store which users and groups should be associated with a given issue. This is particularly useful for projects where a team owns all issues of a particular type.

3 - Managing Issues via a User Account

You can create a JIRA user account to represent a group of people (e.g. 'developers') and assign issues to this user.

4 - Managing Issue via Sub-Tasks

If you have a task managed by different users then you are able to break the combined task into individual subtasks with their own single assignees.

You can check more information on how you can configure these options in the documentation below:

How do I assign issues to multiple users

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer