assign an issue to a group or a non-paying dummy user?

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 26, 2019

hi guys,

I know this was available in the server instance of Jira. But we are really missing this one on the cloud instance.
Sometimes we want to assign an issue to a dummy user, such as 'Dev Team', until someone from the dev team actually assigns the issue to themselves.
Or assign to a group.

The problem is that I cannot create such a user without paying for it in the cloud instance.

Also, we use Gitlab and we want Gitlab to integrate with Jira in such a way that when commits or merge requests are happening, we get a Jira comment added by Gitlab.

That was possible in the server instance, but again not in the cloud instance.

Is there a workaround for this issue?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019
  1. Create a “team” field with a single-select
  2. leave “unassigned” to equate to triage
  3. setup filters and dashboard if desired or even Kanban per team that leverages the team field 
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 27, 2019

I second this as that's the solution we have used in a couple of projects. 

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 29, 2019

@Jack Brickey thanks for the suggestion.

If using the custom field, are you able to incorporate it into your workflow?

i.e. - as a post function, to assign to someone/group?

It's an interesting solution though

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2019

@Gil , you can use the custom field in a PF however, you can’t assign to a “group”. My intention here was to use unassigned as the triage queue and the teams would monitor and keep that list empty by assigning each issue to a single user and/or set the Team custom field to the appropriate team. If the Team field is set and the issue is unassigned then it is up to the team to scrub their list and get it assigned.

Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 29, 2019

What do you mean by 'queue'? We're using a scrum jira project and to me it sounds like you refer to a column of unassigned issues.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2019

Sorry,  I shouldn’t of misused the term queue here. What I mean to say is  that you can use the team custom field to create a custom filter for each team. Now if you want to use this on a scrum board you could use swim lanes per team with any not assigned to a team swim lane  falling into the everything else  swim line.  Alternatively you can use quick filters using the team custom field.

Like Gil likes this
1 vote
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

I'll just add that if someone doesn't want to create a custom field, then you can still:

1. invite a dummy user, i.e. developers@YourDomain.com
  2. then in the Permission scheme of your project, add Assignable user permission to this dummy user.

Works as I need for my cause.

Thanks!

Salomon November 25, 2021

Seems to work!

I did it like this: I created a group where I assigned all department-dummy-users to. I ensured that these users are users of Jira Software but are only in that group (not the jira-software-users group).

I edited the permission scheme of my project (in my case the default permission scheme, because I want it for all projects like this) and granted access for the group for "Assignable User" permission.

In the billing section these users seem to be not counted!

Thanks for sharing :)

Ignas Selvestravičius December 15, 2021

@Gil but in that way you still have to pay for that dummy user, right? The license is required for it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2021

If you want to make any use of a dummy (like naming it in fields like assignee), you will need to licence the "user" as though they are a real person.

0 votes
Gil
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 20, 2021

@Ignas Selvestravičius that is correct.

It's something I wish Atlassian will provide some solution for in the future.

Rizwan Rizvi April 7, 2022

@Salomon how id you provide access to jira software for the group?

I tried adding the group for product access  but it automatically increases count of billable users. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 7, 2022

Yes, that's how it should (and does) work - you're adding a load of users to the system, and the licences are based on the number of users.

Salomon April 12, 2022

@Rizwan Rizvi We only use these users for assignment. for nothing more. Example: we have a Code-Department user and an Art-Department user. We use them if it is not clear yet who of the respective department will do the task.

We also have a user for creating issues through a web hook ("Bug Reporter" user). That user is not free, unfortunately. I think it needs too many / too powerful permissions.

Rizwan Rizvi April 12, 2022

@Salomon 

What I am trying to achieve is similar to what you have i.e. we have a user called 'Help Desk', when issue comes in as I am not sure who is taking it up, it gets assigned to this dummy user (who doesn't have login access or email box) at the moment on our Server instance. However, on cloud I am unable to do the same without costing a license.

So similar to your case, are you able to assign issues to the 'Code-Department' user and not count towards license?

Suggest an answer