announcement banner customization

sn May 30, 2017

hi all,

we use JIRA 6.4 and the announcement banner looks bland..it doesnt let me highlight text or user bold or use colors. i want the banner text to show in the middle of the page and not to the left hand side.

is there a way i can customize this?

3 answers

7 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 30, 2017

Hey Shilpini,

Use HTML/Javascript in Announcement Banner accordingly.

Make sure you end the tags, else it might resolve into a big issue of JIRA not displaying any info. 

Test this on staging or test instance before doing it on Prod.

Example:

<!-- Message Banner -->
<div style="background-color: linen; border: 3px solid darkred; margin: 4px; padding: 2px; font-weight: bold; text-align: center;">
Maintenance Notification: This Jira environment will be offline today Wed Jan 21 from 12:15 to 12:30 EST for a memory upgrade.
</div>

Reference

Thanks

Chander

jiranetworks_system_admin May 7, 2020

3 years late, but still applicable.  Thank you Chander!  Put my html to good use here

2 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 30, 2017

Hi Shilpini,

If you are able to edit the announcment banner you should be able to use normal html markup to add color, bold text etc. As an example here is an example from my instance:

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 3.18.07 PM.png

Here is the code I used as an example:

<div style="background-color: linen; border: 3px solid darkred; margin: 4px; padding: 2px; text-align: center;">
<b>Maintenance Notification:</b> This Jira environment will be <font color="red"><b>offline today May 30th from 4:00 PM to 5:00 PM CST </font></b>for a memory upgrade.
</div>

If you have your html and tags correct:

1. Try another browser
  2. Verify everything is loading correctly using the development panel in your browser

If neither of those suggestions help, I would try spinning up a test instance of 6.4.x and try setting an announcement banner to see if you get the same result. If not, you'll need to start looking at the environment. There aren't many plug-ins I've run into that would cause this behavior but if you cannot replicate this in a clean environment try JIRA in Safe Mode and see if your html/css works as expected.

Cheers,

Branden

Armin Cseve August 9, 2017

Hello!

Where can I editingt this html? Where can I write this perfect example?

Thanks for the help!

Armin

James Coburn March 6, 2019

https://html-online.com/ is a good tool for editing html if you don't know html...

Like Keith likes this
eford September 20, 2019

Does this not work in JIRA Cloud?

For me the text just displays the actual HTML code.

Chrystal Wyse December 2, 2021

@eford same experience, just displaying as html code

Colleen Gotling March 10, 2022

Same here.  I just see the HTML code on my banner.

Nina Barley October 25, 2022

Same. Is there some way to allow markup in the announcement banner?

0 votes
Sagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2021

This can help if you want to insert other document link in banner

<div style="font-weight: bold; text-align:center; color:green;">Yay! your jira is upgraded to 8.13.1, what's new? 
<a style="color:blue;"href="https://confluence.atlassian.com/jiracore/jira-8-13-long-term-support-release-change-log-1018788437.html">know more</a></div>
Sankara rao Kalagadandu May 11, 2021

Dear Experts,

When adding "Style=" to apply background color, Jira is giving 403 forbidden error. Below is the HTML code I am using. Any suggestions?  

<!-- --> <div id="cat-announce-1">
<div Style="background-color:#D8F8FD ;border: 1px solid #17A2B8; margin: 2px; padding: 8px; text-align: left; font-size: 14px;">
</div>
</div>

Suggest an answer