add a custom field to Jira of type list that it is half a number and half

kerensho November 28, 2020

Hi,

I want to add a custom field which will be a drop down list, but I want to be able to "treat" the values some times as number ( for aggregations, numerical comparisons, etc.) and sometimes as text (especially as a legend for the values' meaning). attached is an example.

Is that doable OOTB? or do I need a plugin for that? if so can you point to some examples?

my question is abet complex, I hope I explained it well, any assistance  will be useful :)

Thanks in advanced,

Kerencomplex list in jira.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2020

Hi @kerensho,

If the main thing you want to do is calculations, then make this a numeric field and put the legend in the custom field description. That way it will be shown on screens just below the issues. 

kerensho November 29, 2020

Hi @Walter Buggenhout ,

I tried that but have 2 problems with this solution:

1) all the description appears without the new lines

2) I have several  similar fields, and that will make the  screen cumbersome...

do you know if there is a way to add tooltip /  question mark icon for fields?

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 29, 2020

Hi @kerensho,

You can add the lines in description. You just need to make sure you write them using html. This leads to a result like this:

Screenshot 2020-11-30 at 08.32.26.png 

What you say about making the screen cumbersome - you have a valid point. The more you use encoded information (i.e. use codes that people don't understand without additional explanation), the more explanation you'll have to provide. So the solution may lie outside of the tool and more in the way you encode your company logic.

Jira does not offer out of the box tooltip or question mark option. But even if it did, I would not aim for that as a silver bullet solution. It would require your users additional hovers or clicks - while I would expect them as regular users to become familiar with these fields as they use them.

Suggest an answer