about jira upgrade from 7.10.0 to 8.1.0

JING CHENG GUO May 14, 2019

Hi , I want to upgrade jira software from 7.10.0 to 8.1.0 I had already checked plugin compatibility and update the related plugin according to recommendation.after upgraded when I logged in jira of version 8.1.0,I found the 'Activity Stream' dashboard  can not display. How can I find the root cause? by the way I redirect HTTP to HTTPS. thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 16, 2019

Hi Jing,

Upgrading Jira should not be a direct cause for the activity stream failing to load.  However I think I might have an idea of what might cause that indirectly.  Many times when Jira is upgraded in place, settings in the $JIRAINSTALL/conf/server.xml file can be overwritten as a result.  This file controls the settings that Tomcat will use to host Jira's website.

Since you mentioned that you are redirecting to HTTPS, this file will need to have some adjustments to make sure that Jira is serving that content up correctly.

Is Jira's Tomcat terminating SSL?  Or are you using a reverse proxy or load balancer to terminate SSL instead?  Depending on the way you are doing this will determine what we should see in the <Connector> tags in that server.xml file.  If you're using a proxy, I would recommend checking out Proxying Atlassian server applications with Apache HTTP Server (mod_proxy_http).   It explains that Jira is expecting to have certain parameters in that connector such as

proxyName="jira.example.com"
 proxyPort="443"
 scheme="https"

on the connector that has that traffic redirected to Jira, where jira.example.com is the public facing URL of your Jira site.  I would also expect that address to be the same as the one set in the Base URL in the Jira administration panel.

Let me know if this helps.  If not, please let me know more about your server.xml file's current settings.  Please note that if you have to make changes to that file, after you save it, you need to restart Jira before changes take affect.

Andy

Suggest an answer