Xray Test Execution in Scrum Board

Sivaprakash Sivan November 22, 2020

Hi,

We are using Xray to manage Testing in our project.  We have created the test cases and would like to plan the tests in our sprint planning.  We are unable to include the instances of the Planned Test Runs into the backlog. We can add the Test cases into the backlog.  But, the test cases may require repeated execution in multiple sprints.  We are trying to include only the Test Execution (or Test Run) into the sprint so we can provide an accurate estimate of the effort involved in testing.   Has anyone used Xray for this purpose? Any suggestions will help.  

To give a better clarity on the requirement.

1. We have created a 4 Test Case (say TC1, TC2, TC3 and TC4).  This test case may require to be executed in multiple sprints

2. A Test Execution object is created and includes the above 4 Tests.  

3. We now need to assign the test execution (or test runs) of each of these Test cases to various members in the team.  At the moment, the Test Execution automatically gets assigned to the same assignee of the test case.  

For our sprint planning, I need to provide the effort by each of the tester who will be executing the the above tests.  This doesn't seem to be possible. 

Please help if anyone has had similar requirements?

Regards,

Siva

2 answers

1 vote
Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2020

Hi @Sivaprakash Sivan ,

Tests are reusable entities, they're templates. In that sense, it does not make sense to include them in the backlog or even in a sprint.

On the other hand, Test Executions (or Test Plans) represent some work to be done... and thus, they can be included in a backlog or sprint.

In a Test Execution you can assign Test Runs to specific users (more info here) ; the default behavior is to assign Test Runs to the assignee of the corresponding Test Execution.

So, you can create a Test Plan for example for your sprint and schedule one or more Test Executions from that Test Plan.

For another sprint, you can create a new Test Plan or clone an existing one and make the changes to it.

If you don't want to use Test Plans, you can also clone Test Executions if you wish to do so.

Some useful resources:

Regards,

Sérgio

Raminder Singh Chadha February 18, 2021

Hi Sergio, 

In this case, you are saying I can assign the execution to a resource and view the test execution itself on the team board however the effort still does not get captured as the option to add story points is not available on the execution story.

and...in my case we have multiple teams in my project, we don't have the option of assigning a test execution story to a specific team.

-Raminder

Rudy Dullier March 12, 2021

We are using Jira Data Center along with Xray and Advanced Roadmaps

I've had success including in Advanced Roadmaps this filter :

project = tx AND issuetype in (Initiative, epic, story, bug, "Test Plan", "Test Execution")

In the plan itself, for the example, I've put :

• One epic for testing
    • One Test Plan for whole quarter
    • Three Test execution of that Test plan spanning over 3 months (each being 1 month long)
  • One epic for requirements
    • Stories and bugs are grouped together using Ranking

Here's a dummy plan showing that off

2021-03-12_09-42-18.png

Guido Riva August 29, 2022

Hi Rudy,

Test Executions in my installation doesn't have "target start" or "target end", but only "begin date" and "end date", which are not available in the Advanced roadmap settings.

Did you performed a bulk update to copy one field to the other?

image.png

0 votes
nagaraj_mamidi September 15, 2022

Hi @Guido Riva

In advance Roadmaps [Data center version] we have an option to define custom fields for plan view. we tried with few custom date fields we created for our purpose and it shows just fine

image.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events