Workflow for all sub tasks complete

paulwade April 2, 2014

I want the ability to move a story as well as subtasks to columns. Right now I can only move subtasks with stories as the swimlane.

I have coulmns setup for "todo","In Development","In QA", "Done". the workflow for stories follows Todo->In development->in qa->done with resolution.

I have a diffrent flow for sub tasks it is simply

Todo->in development->Done.

in my agile board I can move sub tasks between columns and I have swimlanes setup for stories. I realize this is by design but I cannot move stories. When I move a subtask to in development the story should be moved to in development. When I move all sub tasks to done the story should go to qa...

I cant find anyway in jira to work smoothly with subtasks and stories.

3 answers

2 votes
HomeAway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2014

To elaborate on Jason's answer you could do a post function on the sub-task transition to development like so:

TJ Baker April 14, 2016

It sure would be great if we could do this with Cloud instances, but no Groovy scrips in Cloud sad

Stephanie Latterman August 21, 2017

@TJ Baker Thank you for stating specifically this can't be done on Cloud. I didn't think so, but I have been looking for confirmation.

0 votes
JasonS April 2, 2014

If you have the free Groovy plug-in installed you can use the script - "Transition parent when all subtasks are resovled". I assume you sub-task done is a "resolved" state, and if it is, you can use this script to transition the parent story to an appropriate status which would appear in QA column in your agile board (based on board set-up)

paulwade April 2, 2014

Would an easier answer be to maybe have two boards for the project? a dev board(story swimlane) and story board(no swimlane)? IE qa works on stories and only dev uses subtasks?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2014

That could work with a pair of Kanban boards (wouldn't work for Agile/Scrum - you don't plan sub-tasks)

However, I missed something in my answer. Agile will also ask you if you want to close a story when all the subtasks are done...

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 2, 2014

To do automatic movement like that, you'll need to do a bit of coding - you need to trap the "subtask moves to in-development" event and the "subtask moves to done" event, check the current state of the parent and all the subtasks and issue any transitions that are needed (I'd use a scripted listener, but I'm afraid you don't have that option in OnDemand)

Suggest an answer