Workflow actions on sprint start in Agile

Ivan Goncharov September 14, 2013

Hi all,

Is there a way to automagically perform a workflow action for all issues in a new sprint when it starts?

We have an existing workflow for issues in place: new (not ready / not estimated) -> open (ready for work) -> in progress -> closed. The projest is set up for Kanban (hence the workflow), but we also have a new separate team within the same project that's trying out Scrum, so I'd like to set up their board without breaking anything – i.e. all issues in an active sprint must be at least open.

What seems to be a valid workaround is a custom new->in progress transition with something like a "issue is in active sprint" precondition, but I'd really appreciate a more straightforward solution.

1 answer

0 votes
Kim Poulsen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 25, 2013

Not an automated solution, just an idea...

I'd like to piggyback on this question if you don't mind.

I have a scrum team working on the backlog through a open->grooming->ready->inprogress->resolved/closed flow.

We have agreed that sprints can only be started with issues in the "ready" state or later. This can easily be verified visually of course but as Ivan I'd really like a validation that all issues indeed are at least 'ready' for safety.

Transitioning the issues going into a sprint once more is a bad workaround so I am also looking for a more straight forward solution. With sprints as real objects in Jira this could maybe be made possible. But how?

Edit:

Ivan I can contribute that I have two scrum boards set up to show a different set of statuses on the same project filter:

The first board is the planning board and contains issues with status "open", "grooming", "ready" (and a dummy status type because the status in the last column is never shown on the planning board). All sprints are planned here to get an idea of what needs attention in grooming. I have set up a quick filter with jql:status!=Ready This is the validation I am looking for an automated check of. Work mode is never used here.

The second contains issues with status "ready", "inprogress", "resolved", "closed". This board is the sprint board where the sprint is cut to size and ready issues swapped to fill the sprint. The sprint is also started here. Work mode and report modes are used here. The backlog on this board will only contain issues which are actually ready for sprinting.

Maybe you can use this idea also.

Suggest an answer