Will using same site for Jira Software as our existing Jira interfere with existing Jira site?

David February 10, 2021

Our company has a regular Jira site/instance, say site.atlassian.net. We want to start using Jira Software. When I go to the signup page it auto-fills the site field with site.atlassian.net, but gives me the option to add a new site.

If I leave the default site there and signup for Jira Software will it interfere with our existing Jira site/instance? Also, is there any benefit to starting Jira Software under a different site? 

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

aaa.atlassian.net is a totally separate instance to bbb.atlassian.net. 

Ok, there's shared infrastructure that you don't need to care about as it's a service, and if you create them from the same account, they'll be managed together by that account, but you should think of them as totally separate and independent, at least until you start telling them to talk to each other.

The main benefit is simply that segregation - unless you say otherwise, the two systems will be entirely independent of each other.

David February 10, 2021

So if I choose our existing site.atlassian.net for Jira Software it will not interfere with any existing settings or processes in Jira? I'm just being cautious in case choosing the same site will somehow delete or alter our existing Jira site.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 10, 2021

Of course it will, you're adding Software to a site that does not have it.  Software is an application that adds functions to Jira.  So you'll see new stuff in your existing site.

However, it won't change your data, just make new stuff available.

Suggest an answer