Will appreciate how best to fix DB in wrong collation.

Murphy Alabi January 30, 2019

The issue is that the DB is amongst many other DB on a SQL Server Instance.

Looking at Documentation regarding creating and configuring SQL DB for JIRA, i suspect it is not enough to just fix the collation for the DB, The instance will need to be fix as well or a work around script to tidy up all affected columns of the DB.

I will appreciate pointers and suggestions to fixing this. The Instance been shared by many DB mean that the collation fix cannot be done on the instance.

1 answer

0 votes
Solomon Rutzky March 4, 2019

Hi there. What collation is the database and instance currently using? It's quite possible (even highly likely) that there is no problem using a collation that is not one of the two "supported" collations. In fact, changing the Jira DB collation so that it no longer matches the instance-level collation introduces the potential for encountering a collation mismatch error due to temp tables (specifically joining on a string column in a temp table). Please see my answer to a related question about Jira and SQL Server collations for details.

For an in-depth look at changing collations in SQL Server (in general, not specific to Jira), please see my post: Changing the Collation of the Instance, the Databases, and All Columns in All User Databases: What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Take care, Solomon...

Suggest an answer