• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Will adding new hierachy level disrupt existing structure?

We use initiatives as a way to group epics across projects. Now some teams request another (parallel) hierarchy level, to group epics within projects.

I’m afraid that inserting an additional hierarchy level (issue – epic – pillar – initiative)  will disrupt the current structure we have adopted (issue – epic – initiative). Since we don’t have a test environment, I wondered if some of you have already tried this.

1 answer

Hi, @Daan Boesjes.  There's a lot of discussion on this topic here in the community. Some would argue conformity is the key: Elicit feedback from all stakeholders and settle on *one way* of doing things so you can have an orderly and clean hierarchy across all of your projects and teams.

Others argue that there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Every team has unique needs (some imagined, but some real) and flexibility is the key.

Ultimately, you (and your stakeholders) have to decide whether flexibility or conformity will rule. Once you do, you have to have the tooling in place that will support your decision.

Generally speaking, Advanced Roadmaps (part of Jira Cloud Premium) is for companies that choose conformity. It (and Jira) prescribes a certain hierarchy. It works best when everyone does things the same way in the same hierarchy.

If flexibility wins out, the Atlassian Marketplace has a number of PPM products (my company makes one of them - Structure for Jira) that would enable you to do what you describe above.  

Good luck! I hope this helps.

-dave [ALM Works]

Hello Dave

Thanks for your clear and swift answer. As you suggested, bringing the needs and expectations of my stakeholders in line, combined with a demonstation in the sandbox environment, solved my problem.

Grtz, Daan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,120 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you