Why "Affects versions" in next-gen (Cloud) project is hidden?

Krzysztof Kozlowski November 27, 2019

Hi,

I enabled the the "Releases" feature in my next-gen project in JIRA cloud. When editing the fields of a Bug, I see the "Fixes versions" but there is no "Affects versions" field. It is not present when viewing some specific bug itself.

However when I am bulk editing bugs, I see the "Affects versions" field and I am able to change it.

jira1.png

Why it is visible only in Bulk edit mode and not present in other cases (including field editing mode for Bug)?

Best regards,

Krzysztof

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 2, 2019

Hello Krzysztof,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

The Releases and Versions on next-gen projects add only the field Fix Versions on tickets.

You can see Affects Versions while bulking editing issues because the screen shows all fields from Classic projects, even if you are bulk editing tickets from next-gen, so you can add the value in the field, but when you view the ticket, it won't show the information.

You can find more details about the new feature on the documentation below:

Regards,
Angélica

David Wuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2020

When will Affects Versions be added? This is a critical field for us, especially for bugs. We are not able to use NG projects without that field.

Like # people like this
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 15, 2020

Hi @David Wuth

I searched for the Affects Versions feature for next-gen, but didn’t find any information if it will be added.

Since there is no feature request specific for this field, I sent a message to the PM that posted about the Releases feature asking if the Affects Version will be added to next-gen and now I’ll wait for his response. We are in different timezones, so it may take a day or two.

Please, feel free to add your feedback on his article and on the feature request:

Regards,
Angélica

Like # people like this
Simon Stevenson February 4, 2020

Any update on this? I just got bitten expecting it to be there :(

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 4, 2020

Hi @Simon Stevenson

I sent a message to the Product Manager again, because there was no update since my previous response, so now I'll wait again for his response.

Please, also add a comment on the article and the feature and watch to receive future updates.

Regards,
Angélica

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
February 17, 2020

Hi @Simon Stevenson and @David Wuth

I received a response from the PM and he just said that there are no updates at the moment.

For now, we will have to wait for them to see the feedback on features and on the article in community.

I created a new feature request specific for Affects Versions:

- Affects Version/s in Next-Gen projects 

Like Daniel G likes this
Aco QA January 14, 2021

Pls also add the affects version field of next gen project asap, it is very important for issue tracking function as using next gen project, thanks 

Like # people like this
daria.mehra May 3, 2021

I just got bit by the lack of affected versions field on a DOCS project our technical writer created. If there was never a plan to support this field in next-gen projects, this should be clearly advertised when creating the project. For example:

"If you release software and file bugs against released versions, do not use next-gen projects, choose classic instead".

I mean... how can you have an issue tracker without affected version?!

Like # people like this
4 votes
Dhananjay April 27, 2020

Affected veraion is crucial in our case as well. Specifically for a bug it is required to trace. It will be really great to have this field in next gen projects

Klaus Hammer June 5, 2020

Where can I upvote for this requirement? I really like using Jira next Gen, but this  field (affected version) becomes more and more crucial for our operations...

Like # people like this
u606360 April 23, 2021

+1

Mukul Vyas July 21, 2021

+1

0 votes
Will Marsman November 12, 2021

Would be great if we could have this field made available.

Additionally, for small teams looking for a quick work-around, it is possible to create an automation rule which will set the affects version to the previously released version whenever the fixed version changes and the affects version has not yet been set.

its not much, but at least gives some control over this field.

Suggest an answer