Why is our Board so slow?

Jeff Patterson October 31, 2019

We have a Next-gen software project with almost 800 issues in it and our Board has been getting progressively slower and is almost unusable at this point.

It takes about 20 seconds for the board page to load.  Clicking on a person to filter by that person takes about 15 seconds.  We have the board grouped by Assignee and have 6 different columns (statues?)  

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

800 issues on a board is quite a lot TBH. I am not saying that should equate to the sluggishness just that from a manageability perspective that seems excessive. I'm going to run a couple of test on my instance by fashioning a board that has 1k issues and will report back what I see. In the end you may have to reach out to Atlassian Support to have them investigate and possibly increase memory.

One question - is your Done column (far right) appropriately aging off old issues?

Thanks @Jack Brickey !  We have added several "Done" statuses - one for each mini-project.  And no, they are not aging off.  All 800 issues are still visible in the various status and various assignees.  Where do I configured that aging and where do they go when they age off?  Thanks!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2019

So I created a filter - resolution is empty which returns ~1500 issues in my entire instance. I created a Kanban and while a wee bit sluggish it actually works fine. Now one key difference is that this is not single project and is certainly not a NG project. While I do have a handful of NG issues in that filter they are the minority. So my theories are:

a) NG is slower for some reason (i don't really think so but...)

b) your instance needs to be inspected by Atlassian support.

OK, thanks very much for the response @Jack Brickey   I think I'll reach out to support to see what they suggest.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2019

the way NG boards work, unless something has changed, is the issue in the far-right-most column will age off after 14d. You want the FRMC to equate to "really done" work as in we won't be spending any more time on this issue. Anything to the left will fall into pending work (To Do which should be the left-most column and/or the backlog) and everything else is considered in various states of in progress or maybe a Hold if you use such.

Bottomline is your FRMC should not grow infinitely. you can check this finding a done issue that was moved to done say 30d in the past and then search to see if you find it on the board. You should not.

Thanks again @Jack Brickey .  Something is definitely wrong then.  We have renamed our right-most column to "Archived Updater Tasks" so we can move them out of our "Confirmed" column.  Our "Done" column is the 3rd column and we have 6 total columns. 

I just double-checked and we have issues in our FRMC that are several months old.   Is that the problem?  The software is looking for the FRMC to be named "Done"?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2019

I should have mentioned that the aging is for NG Kanban. NG Scrum will remove all issues from the board when you complete the sprint. I'm guessing you are using Kanban though. Now can you look at one of these old issues and see if there is a Resolution set as in below...

res.jpg

If you are not seeing the resolution then that would explain why it is not aging off as the Resolution being set is the trigger.

no res.jpg

you may also note the color of the Status: Green = done category and Grey = to do stuff and if blue the it is In progress category. Now I'm not a NG expert as I rarely use these templates, but my understanding is that the FRMC is considered Done by default and the resolution should be automatically set. I did not think you could have an issue in Done w/o resolution. Will be interested in what you are seeing. Could you add screenshot of your board?

That must be it!  These older issues are not marked with a resolution of "Done":

Capture.PNG

Even our issues in the Done column are not marked "Done":

Capture.PNG

I don't even see how to do that from the Board.  How do you set the Resolution to Done?

Thanks for all your great help!

Jeff

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 31, 2019

With NG the RHMC is the only done category status and the only one green.  I would definitely clean this up and not have the archived. 

Suggest an answer