• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why is my Kanban Board displayed as a Scrum board?

Hello community,

currently we are confronted with a problem that seemingly appeared out of thin air. Whenever I create a new board in our Jira Software Cloud (it is displayed below as standard, but right now we test premium) now and choose a Kanban board (we use Kanban boards with a backlog as standard in our organization) the new board which is displayed after clicking on "create" is a scrum board (3 columns "to do", "in progress" and "done" instead of "selected for development", "in progress", "in review" and "done").

I have no clue what happened and would be happy if someone of you can offer help or - even better - a solution.

Thanks in advance,

Sebastian

1 answer

0 votes

The columns do not determine whether a board is scrum or kanban.

To do/in progress/done is the default set of columns for the boards in the project you are using.  I think you'll find the board is still Kanban, just has different columns to what you are expecting.

Hello Nic,

thanks for your quick response. But my guess is that your answer is at maximum partially correct/only partially solves the problem.

A Kanban board should in my opinion consist of four colums (selected for development, in progress, in review, done), right? Even when I start a new project and choose Kanban, its starts with something weird: It misses the column "in review", but has the column "backlog" instead (not as a real backlog, like in Scrum or Kanplan, bus as a status column). And when I create a new board and choose Kanban I only get thre columns, the exact three I know from Scrum (to-do, in progress and done). That's extra weird, since - at least to my knowledge - I have not touched any "templates" of how Scrum or Kanban projects/boards should be displayed (only created filters etc.).

Thanks again and kind regards,

Seb

Umm.

>A Kanban board should in my opinion consist of four colums (selected for development, in progress, in review, done), right?

No.  A Kanban board should consist of a set of columns that match your process.

When you create a new board, it looks at what you've got configured in the project. 

If you're selecting "Kanban" when you create the new board, then you're getting a Kanban board based on the project you're creating it from.

If you look carefully at the new board you've created, you will find it is Kanban - it's not determined by the columns, it's determined by what type of board you said you want.

I understand that, but why does it create boards with different columns than it has ever before - and where can I configure my standard? Tried to find that, but didn't find it.

Thanks again for your help!

It's basing the columns on the status you have defined for the project.

Where would you define these? As far as I'm aware, I have defined the Scrum and Kanban boards with the columns I have described above. Nevertheless, new Kanban boards only show the columns defined for Scrum.

You need to move away from the fallacy that there are columns for scrum or kanban.  There are not.  Columns are determined by the project settings, not the board type.

The columns do not determine whether a board is scrum or kanban.

Your columns are coming from the project settings.

I know that the columns are determined by the project settings and not by the type I choose (Scrum or Kanban), I just wanted to emphasize which columns we use for which project - and that now, despite a different setup, we don't get the columns we want to have in a Kanban project/board.

You will need to reconfigure the project so that it has the columns you want.

It's not only one project, it happens at any place where I create a Kanban board (or new project). It seems like we changed some of the (pre-)settings, but we didn't.

And, as additional info: the project settings show 4 columns + backlog, but whenever I vreate a new (Kanban) board, it only has three columns, of which one is even differently named.

The columns are being determined by the underlying setup in the projects you are creating the boards from.  You're choosing a project type that has a default of the columns you are seeing when creating the project. 

I don't know what you're doing differently to before, whether the status in the projects are different or you're using a differently configured template.

Step away from the boards for a second and have a look at the project setup.  If it's a Next-gen project, then the project setup is the board (and hence it's the chosen template setting the columns).  If it's a classic project, you'll need to go to project settings -> workflows and have a look at the workflow, as that's what the default columns will be based on.

Like Sebastian Mühleis likes this

Thats's the workflow underlying the project(s)

Screenshot 2021-01-18 135806.jpg

And I'm not aware of any changes we made (apart from 1-2 changes of transitions, but none of these is connected to a column).

Hi there... quick aside to the issue of different numbers of board columns, depending upon the board creation path.  There is an open defect for that behavior:

Different Columns in Boards with Create new board vs. creating board within a project

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-21163

Best regards,

Bill

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,184 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you