Why is in line editing disabled?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2013

In the full edit screen (but not the Greenhopper scrum board) I can suddenly no longer do inline editing. I could last week.

I tried another user's machine, same thing.

I get a bubble that says "Inline edit disabled."

Happens on both Chrome and Firefox.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2013

Turned out to be a conflict (bug) with the JIRA Behaviors plugin.

James Porter November 26, 2013

did you find out how to resolve the bug?

Fabio Turati February 15, 2016

I suppose the bug you are talking about is https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/browse/JBHV-201. Or is it another one?

1 vote
George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2013

Ah, I found something...

If the 'Description' field contains a URL, it disables inline editing for all fields. Remove the URL and inline editing is restored. Add it back, inline editing is disabled.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2013

I filed it as a bug with Atlassian.

0 votes
Radek Janata October 8, 2013

I had a similar issue. No URL in the Description, no Behaviour plugin. Inline editing didn't work in Firefox. It worked OK in IE and Chrome.

I tried to delete various temporary data but to no effect. Finally I tried to clean up settings all at once and it worked to me. Here are the steps:

• close all opened tabs with your Jira
  • go to Options -> Privacy -> Clear your recent history
    • Time range to clear: Everything
    • check Cache
    • check Offline Website Data
  • go to Options -> Privacy -> Remove individual cookies
    • find and delete all related Jira cookies
  • restart Firefox

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2013

The easy answer - you've turned it off! (Or, rather, one of your other admins has turned it off). Check Admin -> General Configuration

Also, chek that the inline fields you want to edit are included on the "edit" screen.

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 8, 2013

Yes, that is the easy answer. Unfortunately, it is not the right one. :-)

I checked that first. It is turned ON, always hsa been. And the fields are included n the edit screen. And, yes, they are included on the edit screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 8, 2013

Yes, we have to state the more obvious stuff, just in case :-)

Nicely spotted that one. My guess is that the inclusion of a url is messing up the whizzy script stuff that provides the in-lone edit. I don't remember seeing this before though.

Suggest an answer