Why have two boards?

Aram Kocharyan March 7, 2013

I'm a bit confused as to why you'd have two boards in GreenHopper. Even if you have multiple sprints enabled, it doesn't display any extra information on different boards.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2013

Aram,

Since GreenHopper boards are based on JIRA filters, you can have as many boards you wish, with any JIRA issues you need your team to work on. There are loads of distinct ways to work with the boards, and each team must find its own way, but a very popular flow is to create a board for each JIRA project (as mentioned by Tanner). With that you can have different teams working on individual projects/boards at the same time.

Hope it helps,

Aram Kocharyan March 8, 2013

Yes that makes sense. I meant for a single project, is there an advantage to use two boards? Could I filter tasks differently and have a single project team work in two groups in paralllel?

Jeison
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 10, 2013

Yes you can. You can edit the filter through the board configuration and set it to bring only selected issues from that project. For example, you may want to create a board to track only dev work, other to track design, and so on. That's really up to you.

Ben Floyd October 26, 2015

Old topic, but still relevant. It seems to me that any useful metrics would be blown up if you've got a single guy working on many projects while using different boards for each. Say Project A and B have different statuses and are accessed by two different boards. Wouldn't hopping back and forth with breaks in activity in each task board would make it impossible to judge workload? Additionally, if Project A doesn't have an In Progress status, then what happens when reporting from Board B - ignored status?

0 votes
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2013

I'm not sure i understand the question. why have two boards? because you have two or more separate and distinct projects. If you're instead thinking for the *same* project, can you elaborate?

Suggest an answer