Why don't bugs show in my backlog until I visit each one and edit them?

Hi

So I'm on the Agile tab and I've setup a filter to pull back all the Stories and Bugs the team are delivering in our next drop. Everything looks good except for the backlog on the "RapidBoard.jspa" page which as best as I can tell arbitrarily chose only 3 of the 30 bugs that I want to include in the next sprint.

I've then visited some of the "missing 27" and found that if I edit them they DO show on the backlog. It doesn't seem to care what I edit exactly.

Note that all of my bugs were added to the system by humans so no plug-in was used. A related question (link follows) does sound similar, is it likely the same indexing problem despite no plug-in being used?

Why don't issues created by plugin show up until manually edited?

Thanks in advance

Chris

1 answer

1 vote

Yes, looks like indexing is broken. Is it happening even in filters? i.e. are you not seeing those issues when you search in issue navigator too? I assume that is the case.

Check the logs to find out if there are any indexing errors. Also, rebuild the indexes once to make sure existing indexes are not corrupt.

Once I came across the same issue and the disk had run out of space. Just one of many possible issues.

Now resolved. I managed to find that the bugs didn't show in my backlog because the "Sprint" field wasn't present on my Bugs. Only after editing or indexing (as you suggested) all the items would it show. After some deliberation with our infra team it was decided that using JIRA's bulk update functionality was my best option to cause the Sprint field to become available. A re-index was swiftly discounted for being too slow. Separately, but related, it does strike me as unsatisfactory that the Sprint field being hidden from my Bugs is a configurable option that I had no way of seeing or knowing existed, so I was never going to solve this problem without the assistance of higher-ups. Thanks for your help Jobin!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published May 21, 2018 in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

1,039 views 7 18
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you