Why don't bugs show in my backlog until I visit each one and edit them?

Chris Kerr January 13, 2015

Hi

So I'm on the Agile tab and I've setup a filter to pull back all the Stories and Bugs the team are delivering in our next drop. Everything looks good except for the backlog on the "RapidBoard.jspa" page which as best as I can tell arbitrarily chose only 3 of the 30 bugs that I want to include in the next sprint.

I've then visited some of the "missing 27" and found that if I edit them they DO show on the backlog. It doesn't seem to care what I edit exactly.

Note that all of my bugs were added to the system by humans so no plug-in was used. A related question (link follows) does sound similar, is it likely the same indexing problem despite no plug-in being used?

Why don't issues created by plugin show up until manually edited?

Thanks in advance

Chris

1 answer

1 vote
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 14, 2015

Yes, looks like indexing is broken. Is it happening even in filters? i.e. are you not seeing those issues when you search in issue navigator too? I assume that is the case.

Check the logs to find out if there are any indexing errors. Also, rebuild the indexes once to make sure existing indexes are not corrupt.

Once I came across the same issue and the disk had run out of space. Just one of many possible issues.

Chris Kerr January 19, 2015

Now resolved. I managed to find that the bugs didn't show in my backlog because the "Sprint" field wasn't present on my Bugs. Only after editing or indexing (as you suggested) all the items would it show. After some deliberation with our infra team it was decided that using JIRA's bulk update functionality was my best option to cause the Sprint field to become available. A re-index was swiftly discounted for being too slow. Separately, but related, it does strike me as unsatisfactory that the Sprint field being hidden from my Bugs is a configurable option that I had no way of seeing or knowing existed, so I was never going to solve this problem without the assistance of higher-ups. Thanks for your help Jobin!

Suggest an answer