Why doesn't the ranking of issues in the issue browser match the ranking of my Agile board?

Pierre Seguin September 16, 2013

Using the same filter to search as my Agile Board uses, I can't get the issues to rank in the same order as they appear in the Agile Board (planning view).

The board's filter is defined to use ORDER BY Rank ASC. Viewing the same query in issue browser, the issues appear in a completely different order. What's going on?

I'm ultimately trying to export my agile planning board into Excel for a client report. The ranking is everything.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Abhishek Kumar May 9, 2016

Are you using Client Rank ? If yes, you need to use the global Rank in JIRA. Client Rank use internal hashing which is different from numeric Ranking.

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 17, 2013

Hey there, Pierre.

When you mentioned that you display the same query in the Issue Navigator, can you please cross check whether the filter is actually configured by ORDER BY Rank ASC? You can check this by switching the Issue Navigator to the Advanced Search mode to compare the results. Sometimes, this could be the reason behind this issue.

Else if the order of ranking is still out of place, please try to perform reindexing in your instance and check again:

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

Danial

Pierre Seguin September 24, 2013

Hi Danial,

Yes, I did verify that the filter was actually configured for ORDER BY Rank ASC, and then I performed a re-index.

It would seem that the problem might lie in that I have several sprints tentatively wrapped around the top stories and issues; when I export the data and sort it in Excel by Sprint, sub-sort by Rank, the issues appear in the right order.

Unfortunately, the Advanced Search does not let me order by Sprint, Rank; it returns an error that says that Sprint is not a field you can sort on.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Pierre

Martin Gregory October 30, 2014

I have this exact same symptom/problem: a series of tentative sprints and unable to get the issues ordered in the same order via a JQL on rank.

Laura Blom August 21, 2017

As do I. I have some 'fake sprints' needed to organize my 2,000 task backlog. I need my designer's dashboard filter to mimic my agile board rank and it does not. I've tried sorting by Rank and Global Rank but no luck. Both of which use a non-numeric ranking system (ex. 0|i3nsnr:) I am unfamiliar with Client Rank. 

Martin, did you ever figure this out?

Stephen Boyd February 7, 2018

We are having the same issue here. By extension our story level issues in portfolio do not match the order we have determined in JIRA. Occasionally JIRA will spaz and become reordered based on the global rank. Has anyone figured out a fix?

Tori Cook January 14, 2021

Same issue here. Has anyone found any solutions?

Suggest an answer