Why doesn't the Resolution of a ticket doesn't change to Resolved when its Status is already Done?

Lena Boiser February 28, 2021

My understanding was that Resolution in Jira would automatically update to Resolved or when a user is transitioning to Done they would need to select a Resolution value but this doesn't happen to our project. What could be wrong in our configuration?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2021

it is not automatically

I configured my workflow manually, so that on trasition "closed", it also sets the issue to "resolved".

And on "reopen" to "unresolved"

use post function:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/edit-an-issue-workflow/

or you can use addons like automation or scriptrunner, but post function should be the easiest.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 28, 2021

The built-in post function is called simply "update field" and it's the same one for setting and clearing the resolution.  When it's saved though, it will show as "set the resolution to <xxx>" or "Clear the resolution" in the list of post-functions.  There's an example of the clear in the Jira system workflow (the one you can't delete)

Like John Funk likes this
Lena Boiser March 1, 2021

Thank you for your answers. @Alexander Pappert and @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I've configured the post function. This means though that it won't be applied retroactively right? Is there any way I can edit the Resolution of the tickets I have that is already with the Done status?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2021

Hello @Lena Boiser 

There are two ways that come to mind for how you can do this.

If your workflow allows it, transition the issue again from Done to Done (or whatever your closed status is). That will trigger updating the Resolution field. You can do that using the Bulk Change feature. Note, though, that might also update the Resolution Date field.

The second option is to add the Resolution field to your screens temporarily, and then use Bulk Change to update it, then remove it from the screens.

Lena Boiser March 3, 2021

Hello Trudy,

Thanks for sharing. The first option I think would work but then the Resolution Date field wouldn't be accurate. The second option, I tried but the Resolution field doesn't show on the list of fields that can be updated when I do the bulk change. 

So yeah lesson learned from me definitely! 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2021

I apologize for giving you bad advice. I recall it worked when I used that trick on JIRA Server a few years ago. I just tried it in JIRA Cloud, and I also see the field was not shown in Bulk Change / Edit Issues.

I did see, though, that the field was editable on individual issues in the Old Issue View. Depending on how many you have to update you might use that method to update them one at a time. You should check the first one you update, though, to see if changing that field affects the Resolution Date.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events