Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

Why doesn't my custom status show on my project board?

I created a new issue type and workflow for an issue called 'changelog' this is a static issue - it collects sub-tasks and comments, but has no transitions. 

I'd like these to show up in a separate column on the board, but they don't - I can only see them on Issues -> All Issues, and there they have a line through them (I think because the ChangeLog status is a 'Done' status type?)

There is no filter on the board, and I cannot figure out any way to get these cards to show up on the board for the project. Any help? 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk Community Leader May 24, 2022

Hi Andy - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

First, the new workflow must be a part of the Workflow Scheme used by the project. If it is not, you need to add it and Publish the scheme. 

Next, make sure the ChangeLog status is mapped to the board using Board Settings. 

One note - there is ALWAYS a filter on the board or the board wouldn't exist. :-)

You can't see the filter for some types of board, but on those, we know the filter is hard-coded to "all the issues in the project the board is for"

Like John Funk likes this

Thanks John and Nic, 

Yeah, I did all the Workflow and Workflow Scheme stuff. 
Really appreciated the O'Reilly Practical JIRA Administration book for describing the connections between the different schemes so well. 

It really does look like these custom issues aren't showing up because there are no available transitions, and there may be a low-level filter that requires that cards can be dragged/dropped on a board before they are displayed? 

The filter definitely seems to be ALL/ALL/ALL/etc.

Cheers,
Andy

John Funk Community Leader May 27, 2022

Can you provide some screenshots of the Columns view inside of board settings?

And also the general tab which shows the filter and sub-filters?

Like Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ likes this

John,

Thanks for the assistance - additional Googling got me there. 

Because this was a 'Business Project' it can't actually contain Software-project based Kanban and Scrum boards (as useful as that might be). I had to go to the Boards -> All Boards configuration from the top search box to create a new board using the data from this project, and then create it under my Profile or move it to an existing Software type project. 

Best,
Andy

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk Community Leader Jun 02, 2022

Duh! Sorry, I should have asked what type of project it was. Here is the guidance I normally give for that, but sounds like you have already done it.  :-) 

You will need to create a filter for the JWM project, something like Project = ABC ORDER by Rank ASC where ABC is the project key for your JWM project. Be sure to save the filter and share it. Or you can use an existing filter if one exists with the same issues in it.

Go to your list of boards and click on Create board

Choose either Kanban or Scrum

Choose create based on an existing Filter.

Then attach it to the new filter you just created.

For the Location field, you will not be able to use a Team-managed, Business, or JSM Project - only Classic Software projects. Or you can link to your profile - probably best in this case. But this will not keep the new board from working - it really only cares about the project(s) in the filter.

Then you are all set. You can modify the board as you need to.

Like Andy Hooper likes this
0 votes

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

There are a number of things we need to look at to help with this one, so to get started, can you tell us what you get when you go to "configure board" - the ... (or the configure option in the menu it pops) towards the top right of the board display.

Does that give you a load of options around "general, swimlanes, columns" etc, or just "customise cards", or something else?

>and there they have a line through them 

Jira does this to issues that have a resolution set.  I suspect you've either put the resolution field on the create or edit screens, or when you defined your workflow, ticked the box for "resolved" under the status. 

If you want rid of the resolution, you'll have to change the settings that are making it get set, and then transition your existing issues through the workflow after you've added a post-function for "clear resolution field". 

On a process side, I'd strongly recommend having a short workflow for your issues - with just open and closed status.  You don't have to use the closed status most of the time, but at some point it is likely that you won't want the issues to be "open" any more (end of a project for example).

Thanks Nic,

The only option I have under the [... More] on the Board is [Customize Cards] which presents a list of fields I can add to the cards. 

I'm thinking that the entirely static issue type prevents it displaying on the board, since the cards are [effectively] immobile, but it would be handy for looking at the various systems that have [ChangeLog] issues available. 

Much appreciated!

Nope, I've got a couple of projects with static issues, and they show on the boards.

It's something else.  Check the workflow, board filter, column mappings, and possibly the quick filters.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Published in Jira Software

An update on Jira Software customer feedback – June 2022

Hello Atlassian Community! Feedback from customers like you has helped us shape and improve Jira Software. As Head of Product, Jira Software, I wanted to take this opportunity to share an update on...

229 views 2 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you