Why does my Version report prediction line bend?

Paul Foster December 3, 2013

The center plan line in my version report bends upward by about 5 degrees right at the intersection of the today vertical line. Why is it doing this? It makes the prediction overly optomistic.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Colin Grossman February 11, 2014

Hi Paul,

I had a similar query, and in my case I worked out that it was due to non-working days. If your version has not been running for very long you might have a different percentage of non-working days in the period before today vs the period after. For example, you might have two weekends in a 12 day period before today.

Does that help?

Colin

0 votes
cthompson_alfresco June 1, 2015

I am having the same issue too. I have two active projects in Jira, for which I am using the Version Report. One has a straight prediction line and the other bends on "Today". Both projects have the same non-working days (ie. weekends and the two May Bank Holidays), although they do run over different time periods. I have tried adding non-working days both pre-today and post-today, but nothing seems to change the angle at which the line bends. So I can't see that this is the reason. Can anyone shed any light? (My release predictions are not being taken seriously whilst I cannot explain the lack of a smooth line!)

0 votes
Paul Foster February 11, 2014

That's got to be it. Thank you!

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 8, 2013

Hey Paul,

This line is based on your average daily velocity and the amount of estimated work remaining, and will change everyday.

Here you can see more information regarding this chart, hope that helps.

Paul Foster December 8, 2013

Not really. I know how the line works, but can you explain why it's not straight? I tried uploading a screen shot, but couldn't figure out how to reference it. I created a bug as well, which i provided an attachment.

Aaron Corcoran October 30, 2014

How is average daily velocity calculated? My assumption is that it would have used the sprint velocity....a little confused. If I close a lot of points (because they were mispointed) in a single day, but it was not part of a sprint, is this included in daily velocity? Very confused?!

Suggest an answer