Why does Jira Agile have a Sprint column and an Iteration one?

Janet Lunde May 8, 2015

The Agile views appear to use Sprint, and the online help just says that Iteration is a synonym for Sprint. However, when I search issues, I see both a Sprint column, and an Iteration one. If you use Iteration for your query, no records are returned, since that one is blank. Why is it there at all?

3 answers

1 vote
Janet Lunde May 13, 2015

I looked under custom fields, and found that "Iteration" apparently shows up for everyone, just in case they choose to use the Tempo Planner. It's locked, so you can't remove it.

Iteration on list of locked fields.png

Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 13, 2015

That makes sense. I didn't realize you were on Cloud.

1 vote
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2015

On our setup, we have an Iteration field that was created by the Tempo Planner plugin. This isn't the "Iteration" you've seen in the doc here.

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 8, 2015

My guess is that someone made a custom field called Iteration in your environment. JIRA Agile will not automatically create such a field.

Janet Lunde May 13, 2015

I created this JIRA instance on Monday afternoon. I haven't installed the Tempo Planner. I've been using it, and the Product Owner has been entering issues in the backlog, but that's it, so I can't see how anyone added a custom field at this point.

Suggest an answer