Why do you grant project role: clients access to browse projects in order to restrict their access?

Thaney Cockrell November 2, 2017

In all the forums I've read you have to do the following things to create client specific projects (and to let them see ONLY this project):

1. Create a client group

2. Create a project role for the client

3. Copy the default permission scheme to create a client scheme

4. 'Grant' the client project role the ability to 'Browse' 

5. Add client roles to the project

6. Use the client permission scheme to the project you want the client to see

This does not make sense and when I log in as the 'client' I am able to see all the projects and NOT the project I wanted to see... please help! 

jira help permissions.PNG

3 answers

0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2017

Thaney, take a look at this video I came across as well.  It walks through your scenario of adding an external user to see one project.

https://youtu.be/wvdVNpgG34M

0 votes
Thaney Cockrell November 2, 2017

Thanks Greg, I have all of that set up and something still isn't right. 

I've set the permission scheme to the client project and when I log in as a client I can see every project EXCEPT the one I want. That one seems to disappear. 

What is the correlation or flow for Projects/Permission Scheme/Project Role/Group? 

Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2017

What groups is that user a member of?

For flow - Permission Schemes define what can happen on the Project level.

What may help you visualize this better is the permissions helper tool.

How to use the permissions helper
1. Click the settings cog wheel (upper right), and select Issues.
2. Click Permission schemes.
3. Click Permission helper.
4. Enter the following details:
     a. The name of the user having issues with project permissions
     b. The issue key that the user doesn't seem to have access
     c. The project permission that you want to check against user's current permissions

The Permission helper dialog will display the status, summary, and details of the project and issue permissions set for the specified user, as well as any failed condition

0 votes
Gregory Van Den Ham
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 2, 2017

Ok, so you have the permission scheme.  It says - Browse Projects - Granted to Project Role - Users.

You have to then go to the project, edit it and look at the users and roles tab.  You'll see who the group "users" are.

In my case, Users, are Jira-Users, and everyone is in Jira-Users, so the project is visible.

If you want to change that, on the project security level, remove jira-users from users and click add users to a role.  Select the group or users you want to add to Users and done.

Suggest an answer