Why do stories with an epic show up as "issues without epics" on my Scrum board

Frank Schophuizen January 23, 2015

I have a epic - story - subtask triple. The subtask is assigned to me, but the epic and story are not.

My Scrum board shows the story and subtask in the swimlane of the epic, as expected. However, when I press the "Only my issues" filter, the story is greyed out (expected because it is not assigned to me) and moves to the "issues without epics" swimlane (not expected because the story is linked to an epic).

Why is the story listed under "issues without epics" when it is linked to an epic?

4 answers

1 vote
Adam Picard October 21, 2016

Hey, have you figured this out? I am having the same problem. I have an epic with subtasks, and the subtasks are showing the "issues without epics". Any feedback would helpful. Thanks. 

1 vote
Justin Hoffman October 19, 2016

JIRA doesn't have a 'default' label for "Tasks" and "Stories" that are not associated with an EPIC. 

I Kind of don't mind that appearing on our boards, but i wish i was allowed to edit that to a different text of my liking

0 votes
Matt Peake July 13, 2017

I saw this problem as well: we had a User Story with several Sub Tasks. The Sub Tasks were assigned to the same developer, but the User Story was unassigned.

Once I assigned the User Story to someone (anyone. I jus didn't leave it blank or in triage) the problem went away.

Hope that helps!

0 votes
Chris Eastwood July 6, 2017

The answer is for Atlassian to fix the bug, which is still there ...

Suggest an answer