Why did my kanban board change to scrum?

Barb O'Connell July 25, 2017

I've been using a Kanban board for a project for about a year.  Just today, it has gone from Kanban to Scrum.  Why did that happen?  How can I prevent this in the future?

1 answer

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2017

Check the id of the board. You may well have two boards with the same name

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

Boards don't just change from one type to another.  It's not just that there's nothing in the GUI for it, there's no code either! 

So yes, I suspect the same names, or someone has created a new board based on your project and your quick-link to it in the project sidebar has been updated.  (Your board has not changed, just the link from the project now points to a different board)

Thanks ... where is the config to change it back?

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 25, 2017

Barb,

I suggest you first see if you have two boards one kanban and one scrum. Look under Boards > View all boards

If you do not see the scrum board simply recreate it. Then if you don't want the kanban delete it.

Is it a personalized user config that it choses which board to view for a given project?

I'd like it to change for all users, that's why I ask.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2017

as long as the board is shared it is for all users. this doesn't prevent others from creating their own boards. Though all of this can be managed thru permissions. Board Setting > General > edit filter shares

To be clear - a board is simply a graphical representation of issues driven by a filter. there is no user config associated w/ boards.

Barb O'Connell July 26, 2017

Right, I understand the board is a view/graphical representation, it just isn't clear to me how Jira decides which to present to a user when there is more than one.  :)  I will delete all other boards (checking with adminstrator of course).

Thank you all for the information!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2017

I'm not sure what the rules are on which it might display either!

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2017

i think it goes with the prettiest one. ;-)

Barb O'Connell July 26, 2017

Lol :D

Suggest an answer