Why can't I see the epic link field after I convert an epic to a story

Ewan James July 28, 2014

[Using Jira on demand]

I converted an epic to a story.

I then want to add the story to an epic uding the epic link field.

But I can't see the field anywhere, even after using the "Where's my field" drop downs. Eventually I had to delete the (converted) story and add a new story to see the field. This was true for 3 other stories.

Is this a bug or am I just missing something?

Any help appreciated .

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ewan James July 28, 2014

Ok, embarrassing. 2 ways to solve this.

1. Click "admin" dropdown on view issue page, then "Add field", which prompts me for the field to add, and then the value of the field. This added the field to the view. Done.

2. Otherwise, from the view issue page, I hit "Edit" button. The edit popup will let me add the field using "Configure fields" dropdown. *blush*

0 votes
Anna Cardino
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 28, 2014

Hi Ewan,

After converting the epic to a story, were you able to perform Re-Indexing? This is to ensure that your data is in consistent state.

Monique

Ewan James July 28, 2014

HEy Monique, thanks for the suggestion. I tried that but it didnt help.

I did a quick test to get a bit more detail:

Created 2 epics.

Opened the first epic by clicking on the epic from the issue list, and changed the issue type to "story".

I edited the second epic by selecting "edit" from the drop down on the issue list and then changing the issue type to "Story".

Then reindexed.

I then tried to find the EPic link field for each of these stories, but no luck. Then tried the "Where's my field link?" under admin drop down, entered Epic Link, and got a popup telling me: "The field 'Epic Link' does not have value for issue SM-507 and will not be displayed on the view issue page. Set value for that field so that it shows up.."

Talk about Catch 22

Suggest an answer