Why can't I see "closed" tickets in Backlog?

Scott Buratt August 26, 2022

Jira Cloud, Company Managed

Is there a setting that filters out closed tickets from being visible in the backlog?

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hi Scott - Why would you want to see closed tickets in the Backlog? They are probably in a Done category status such as Done or Closed, which would be mapped to a column on your board and not the backlog. 

My mind is working better now and point very well taken ;)

Thanks John

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 26, 2022

Hello @Scott Buratt 

There is not a configurable setting for this.

The fundamental concept of a backlog is that it is work that remains to be done. There is no need to display work that is already done in the backlog. Your backlog would eventually grow to be an unmanageable list.

What problem are you trying to solve by seen closed issues in the backlog?

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

I wanted to put all my closed tickets into a "need to close" sprint as right now, they are not tied to any sprint.

Since they do not show up in the backlog, I guess just updating my filters will suffice.

Thanks much.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 26, 2022

You could use an Advanced Search Issues filter to find all the closed issues that have no value in their Sprint field and use the Bulk Change feature to update the Sprint field in all the issues to a Sprint of your choice. If that is an "active" sprint, then you should see all the closed issues appear on the Board, I think. But you won't be able to see them in the Backlog section, only in a Sprint.

Yep. That's how I was spotting this closed tickets.

Appreciate your insights as always :)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events