Why can't I see new stories on my Rapid Board "Plan" tab?

Mark Gibaud March 6, 2012

Hi,

I've recently set up my Rapid Board (Scrum preset) and added some stories to the project, however I cannot see them in the story backlog on the Plan tab.

If I look at the project filter from the Rapid Board configuration, my stories are display in the classic-style filter. What is the filter in use for the issues in the story backlog on the Plan tab of the Rapid Board then?

For some reason I can see one of many bugs that I've added, but can't work out what is different about that issue that it shows up.

Thanks!

Mark.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 7, 2012

Hi Mark,

This is an interesting point. The approach used is that:

• Issues that currently have a Sprint assigned (to their Sprint field) do not show up on the Plan mode
  • Starting a Sprint will assign the Sprint field for all issues above the marker (causing them to disappear from the Plan mode)
  • If we did not insist that the plan mode only show issues that had a status that was mapped on the work mode those issues would 'disappear' when the Sprint was started because they would now not be visible on either the work mode or the plan mode

An alternate approach in the future could probably allow for a 'dead issue' section at the bottom of the work mode (i.e issues that are not in a valid status to appear on this board) or a warning from plan mode when starting a sprint that includes such issues.

Cheers,

Shaun

Mark Gibaud March 7, 2012

Hi Shaun,

Seemed I completely overlooked the Sprint field - thanks for point that out! I've added it back as a field on my issues types and now can see how Plan/Work tabs items are differentiated - the goal of keeping pre-dev work off of the Work Tab is met!

Thanks again for the help - very excited to start using Greenhopper where I work!

Regards,

Mark.

1 vote
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2012

Hi Mark,

Are the stories in a status that is mapped to any column of the Rapid Board work mode except the last one? The plan mode will not show sub-tasks or issues that are not in one of those statuses.

Thanks,

Shaun

0 votes
Mark Gibaud March 6, 2012

Hi Shaun,

That worked, thanks for that - I mapped the workflow status "New" to the first column on my board "Ready for Development" and the stories show up.

However this isn't the way I expected it to work. I thought it was such that we want pre-dev (ie. pre work board) items to show up in the story list and once we start the iteration, all stories move to status "Ready for Dev" and thus then show up on the task board.

Having a column on the task board that effectively lists all stories that have yet to be prioritized to the product backlog seems like a waste of a column?

What does the "start sprint" button actually do in terms of changing status and other attributes of issues?

Thanks again!

Mark.

Suggest an answer