Why can't I see in-progress issues within Kanban backlog? Edited

Hello,

In Kanban backlog page is not possible to see the in-progress issues but only the opened or reopened issues.

Anyway to have a similar to scrum board behaviour regarding this limitation?

Thanks

-o

4 answers

This widget could not be displayed.
Jack Brickey Community Champion Jan 08, 2018

on Cloud...

I don't use the Kanban Backlog feature much but just the other day I turned this on for a project using the "To Do" column for the backlog. I was a bit perplexed to find on the Backlog board that the "In Progress" actually showed there. There are two sections "In Progress" and "Backlog" each collapsable. 

So I agree w/ Nic that there would seem to be no reason to have In Progress on the Backlog board since it show on the Kanban board. But it is there at least for me. 

NPD_-_Agile_Board_-_JIRA.png

Alexey Matveev Community Champion Jan 08, 2018

Hello,

could you provide a screenshot?

Hi Alexey,

I believe that a screenshot won't help things out, as is something which is missing and cannot be highlighted is some obvious way.

I'll try to explain it better. Issues that are in-progress state are not displayed at all in Kanban backlog in contrast to Scrum backlog. This very possible must be by design but I would like for my team to have a behaviour similar to Scrum board, speaking for that issue. 

I suspect it's because in-progress items are, by definition, not in the backlog - you've started work on them, so they're on the board.

Hi Nic,

I have assumed the same but why in Scrum are in-progress issues presented in backlog?

In any case, I would like to be able to see those issues also in Kanban backlog.

The scrum boards show open sprints, as you sometimes want to move items in or out of them.  Kanban doesn't have sprints, so you don't need that

There's no point in having in-progress things in a backlog - by definition, a backlog is stuff you have not started.  You might as well forget the backlog if you're just going to use it for everything.

I don't disagree with you but it may be useful in order to review all the in-progress issues before selecting the next-one to work on, because the only other option for someone is to do it through the Kanban board or by searching, which it's not so convenient. 

I am not trying to say that this is a must, but it would be helpful for our workflow and especially for reviewing the in-progress issues. It could also be an option or be adjustable through a filter button. 

Thank you all for your answers!

Independently of the aspect of usefulness, I have found why I can't see in-progress issues. The reason relates to the workflow I use. I have both backlog and todo states in our workflow and it seems that the UI backlog is implemented to show only the next transition state of the backlog. So, I guess that this is the reason I only see the todo state in the screen similar to Jack's

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Apr 22, 2018 in Jira Software

How-to setup a secured Jira Software 7.9.0 on Ubuntu 16.04.4 in less than 30 minutes

...PermissionsStartOnly=true User=www-data Group=www-data ExecStart=/opt/jira/bin/startup.sh ExecStop=/opt/jira/bin/shutdown.sh TimeoutStartSec=120 TimeoutStopSec=600 PrivateTmp=true [Install] WantedBy...

1,510 views 10 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you