Why can't I see in-progress issues within Kanban backlog?

Orestis Fainekos January 8, 2018

Hello,

In Kanban backlog page is not possible to see the in-progress issues but only the opened or reopened issues.

Anyway to have a similar to scrum board behaviour regarding this limitation?

Thanks

-o

6 answers

5 votes
Jeff Lovington February 24, 2020

Jira made epics borderline useless for kanban because their epic filter only shows issues in backlog and the backlog+board status. As a result there is no way to rank issues within an epic and release planning is extremely difficult. There's also no way to see the whole epic other than opening the epic, but in there you cant re-rank issues and cant look at other epics quickly. Also most of the reports in scrum projects are missing from kanban for no reason. I'm not sure what Jira's intention is for their kanban situation nor who uses it effectively but I dont see any good use case for their very weak implementation of it.

3 votes
Matteo Tontini February 12, 2019

Hello everyone,

I have the same problem as described in this page.

I understand that only the very next status is shown in 'backlog' visualization.

The issue is that the 'epics panel' and 'versions panel' is not visible in the 'kanban board' visualization (the columns view) and having it available in the 'backlog view' is much unuseful since it contains only a part of the items a team is monitoring.

How can I take advantage of Epics in a Kanban Board if I cannot easily filter by Epic?

I do not consider a feasible solution creating a quick filter for every epic.

Any suggestions from Atlassian team?

Regards,

Matteo

Mark Crocker December 5, 2019

I think this is an issue for me as well. 
It makes the planning harder in actual fact.

2 votes
Orestis Fainekos January 10, 2018

Thank you all for your answers!

Independently of the aspect of usefulness, I have found why I can't see in-progress issues. The reason relates to the workflow I use. I have both backlog and todo states in our workflow and it seems that the UI backlog is implemented to show only the next transition state of the backlog. So, I guess that this is the reason I only see the todo state in the screen similar to Jack's

Jeremy Schraufnagel October 12, 2018

I actually just ran into this similar issue as well.  The problem is the kanban board just shows the next status transition, as @Orestis Fainekos mentioned previously.  As you can see in the attached screenshots below, we have Planned and In Progress statues, but only the Planned status issues will show on the Backlog and not also the In Progress issues.

Backlog.pngKanban.pngWorkflow.png

Like Christine Donnelly likes this
Christine Donnelly January 6, 2023

Interesting and exactly my issue, thanks! Guess maybe I'll simplify my Kanban columns to only 3.

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2018

on Cloud...

I don't use the Kanban Backlog feature much but just the other day I turned this on for a project using the "To Do" column for the backlog. I was a bit perplexed to find on the Backlog board that the "In Progress" actually showed there. There are two sections "In Progress" and "Backlog" each collapsable. 

So I agree w/ Nic that there would seem to be no reason to have In Progress on the Backlog board since it show on the Kanban board. But it is there at least for me. 

NPD_-_Agile_Board_-_JIRA.png

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2018

I suspect it's because in-progress items are, by definition, not in the backlog - you've started work on them, so they're on the board.

Hi Nic,

I have assumed the same but why in Scrum are in-progress issues presented in backlog?

In any case, I would like to be able to see those issues also in Kanban backlog.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 8, 2018

The scrum boards show open sprints, as you sometimes want to move items in or out of them.  Kanban doesn't have sprints, so you don't need that

There's no point in having in-progress things in a backlog - by definition, a backlog is stuff you have not started.  You might as well forget the backlog if you're just going to use it for everything.

I don't disagree with you but it may be useful in order to review all the in-progress issues before selecting the next-one to work on, because the only other option for someone is to do it through the Kanban board or by searching, which it's not so convenient. 

I am not trying to say that this is a must, but it would be helpful for our workflow and especially for reviewing the in-progress issues. It could also be an option or be adjustable through a filter button. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 8, 2018

Hello,

could you provide a screenshot?

Hi Alexey,

I believe that a screenshot won't help things out, as is something which is missing and cannot be highlighted is some obvious way.

I'll try to explain it better. Issues that are in-progress state are not displayed at all in Kanban backlog in contrast to Scrum backlog. This very possible must be by design but I would like for my team to have a behaviour similar to Scrum board, speaking for that issue. 

Suggest an answer