Why can't I move a subtask to done?

Caroline Bauserman August 15, 2017

I want to move a subtask to done but I am unable to. It can only be moved to in progress, impeded, or accepted. The parent task is currently in the done column.

2 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

Hi Caroline,

look at the workflow for subtasks in your project and check, if the final status for the subtasks is mapped to the done column.

Maybe there's no transition between the issue's current status and the final status. 

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2017

It will depend on the workflow that you have in place for subtasks, which could well be different to the parent task.

Is this something that you're trying to do for the first time, or something that used to work but now isn't?

Caroline Bauserman August 15, 2017

From your suggestions, I checked the workflows and it's definitely an issue with that. The workflow for subtasks is preventing from moving it to done. Now I need to figure out if I'm able to change the workflow and how. Thank you!

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2017

You're welcome :-) Great you found the reason!

If you are not able to edit the workflow for your subtasks, ask your Jira Administrator. And if you are in the admin role and don't find the editing functions, don't hesitate to ask here!

0 votes
Amita Kanaujia January 30, 2020

what if my task and subtask have same workflow? Then how will I move my subtask to done bucket?

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 30, 2020

Hi @Amita_Kanaujia_ 

I'm not sure what your question is, because there is no problem having the same workflow for tasks and sub-tasks - we have exactly that and everything works well.

Are you experiencing an issue? Try to describe what you're seeing happening

Like Christian Parey likes this

Suggest an answer