Why can't I change the remaining estimate from the Work mode of a board?

Markus Jevring January 15, 2013

I've set up a sprint with "Original Time Estimate" as the estimation statistic, and set the time tracking to "Remaining Estimate and Time Spent". When I log work or reduce the remaining by editing the ticket, the change is represented, but I can't do this by clicking anywhere on the card. The documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Estimating+an+Issue) states "Enter the Remaining Estimate for each issue by clicking the Remaining field on the right-hand side of the card", but this doesn't work. No matter where I click, I am unable to actually change the remaining estimate.

Edit: I'm using Greenhopper 6.0.8 with Jira 5.2

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Markus Jevring February 7, 2013

The real problem was that there has been a misunderstanding regarding which field was supposed to be editable. I thought it was the field in the thing that is movable between columns. What I didn't see was the detail pane that appeared when an issue was clicked. In *that* panel editing the field works just fine!

Problem solved, I'm an idiot =)

Markus Jevring February 7, 2013

It turns out there had been a misunderstanding about which field was which. I have updated the answer to reflect the use of the proper field.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2013
I'm not sure what was described to you, but in plan mode if time tracking is enabled you will definitely get a field on the card that shows remaining estimate. If you click the issue key on the card the detail view will open on the right hand side and you can click on the remaining estimate to update it. So you can definitely achieve what you seem to be looking for. Thanks, Shaun
0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 19, 2013

Estimates cannot be edited in the Work mode (it is Orginal Estimate).

If you have selected 'Time Tracking' as None in the board configuration, you will see only the Estimate field as a read only edit box. If you change the configuration to 'Remaining Estimate and Time Spent' then you will see that the Remaining Estimate appears as an additional field which you can change during Work.

Markus Jevring January 20, 2013

As I stated, this is exactly what I have. My time tracking is "Remaining Estimate and Time Spent".

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2013

And to just confirm, can you give a screenshot of the Time Tracking settings?

EDIT: I mean in JIRA (not GreenHopper)

Markus Jevring January 21, 2013

Where would I find time tracking settings in jira? Editing the remaining time in the ticket itself works just fine.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 21, 2013

Leave it. If you are able to edit it in JIRA it looks like a problem. Can you get a screenshot of the Issue Detail Screen in Greenhopper and also the Edit screen while you edit in JIRA.

Or raise a support request, may be that is easier.

Markus Jevring January 21, 2013

I've already created a support request: https://support.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6917

0 votes
pschaff01
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2013

Hi Markus,

This isn't the normal behaviour as these fields should be editable by clicking on the small pencil icon on the right side of the field.

Some tests that you could try to perform is:

• Check if this problem persists on more than one browser;
  • Check if this problem persist with more than one user;
  • Verify if you have a proxy running in front of JIRA;

If any of these answer your questions, please open a ticket on Atlassian's Support System. We will be glad to help you there and it would be great if you could describe your environment (browser, OS) on the description of the issue so we can better assist you with it.

Cheers

Markus Jevring January 17, 2013

* There's no pencil icon, there's just the field. This is identical to how it looks in the docs (there's no pencil icon in the docs)

* Same problem on both Firefox and Chrome

* Problem persists for multiple users

* As far as I know there's no proxy in front of Jira. There's a VPN connection, though. I fail to see how that should matter, however.

Jira ticket: https://support.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-6917

Suggest an answer