Why can I delete a sprint that originated in another board/project?

Rutger S October 6, 2014

This situation: I created an issue (user story) under project X. In the creation screen, for the Sprint field, the autocomplete function offered me all kinds of sprints belonging to other boards/projects. To find out why this would be handy/logical, I added selected an existing sprint of project/board Y.

When everything was saved and I went to my board (linked to project X), I saw the sprint there and thought it belongs to my board (just with the same name). However when deleting the sprint, project Y lost its sprint. So it was the same sprint, not just in name.

Assuming I'm missing something and it's not a bug: what's the rationale of using / being able to delete a sprint belonging to someone else's board/project?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 20, 2014

If you could delete the sprint you had permission for that. If the foreign sprint appears in your board, so because you have connected your issue to the foreign sprint and board.  I suggest removing the issue from the sprint.

Rutger S October 26, 2014

It's probably not a bug and indeed that can be the solution, however still it looks a bit strange to me why it'd be normal for people with a lot of permissions to use other users' sprints in own/other projects. For most people fortunately this won't be the case, simply because they don't have so many permissions.

0 votes
Dave MacDonald March 24, 2017

I hit this same issue today. Someone moved a ticket to my project from another, and i inherited their sprint onto my board. I moved the issue to my sprint, but still their sprint showed at the top of my board (empty). I deleted that, and it deleted the other project's sprint, without any warning.

This is AWFUL behavior. All of it.

Marie_Högkvist June 27, 2017

I have a similar case. One of our developers added an issue to the wrong sprint and then moved it to one of ours. Now the "wrong" sprint appears on our board (even though it is empty) and there is no way for me to hide/remove it without affecting the sprint. 

Clare Martin December 16, 2020

This has just this second happened to me, all the tickets in the other projects sprint have been deleted with no easy way to retrieve ... unbelievable!  

Suggest an answer