Why burn-down chart not picking the estimated hours from stories?

avni.kaushik@gds.ey.com August 26, 2019

I have close to 1011 hours estimated in the tasks assigned to my current sprint, still the burndown chart shows only 218 hours. I have checked the mapping of stories under the correct sprint as well

What other reason could cause it?

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2019

Hello Avni,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

There is a couple of settings that could cause some issues to don't display their estimation in the board reports. Please, check the following:

1 - As you can see in the Burndown Report documentation, the Burndown Chart is board-specific – that is, it will only include issues that match your board's saved filter. Can you double-check if all the issues you added to your Sprint were configured to be displayed on the board when the Sprint was completed?

2 - There are two different ways to use the burndown chart with Time tracking: Based on the Original Estimate or Based in the Time Spent and Remaining Estimate (To change it, navigate to board settings > Estimation).

Depending on which option you've chosen, can you confirm that all the issues in the Sprint are properly configured with the Original Estimate value or with the Time Spent and Remaining Estimate?

3 - If you are returning issues from a Next-gen project in the board, their estimation will not reflect in the burndown chart since it uses different fields to estimate the time tracking.

4 - If the steps above don't provide you any clue, please provide us with some screenshots so we can better understand where your estimation is missing (If it is the chart itself or in any other place). P.S: Make sure to hide all the confidential information from the screenshot.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Patrick Ribeiro February 19, 2024

Hello, 

i'm facing a similar issue. 

The Burndown Report we use works with original estimates, but what I really would need is the report to work with the remaining estimates, which however do no appear as an option anywhere. 

I tried to follow the instructions in this thread, but there is no Time Spent and Remaining Estimate in the boards settings. 

2024-02-19_13h48_54.png

What am I doing wrong or misunderstanding?

Cheers

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2024

The time remaining is not a suitable to use as a burndown.  First problem is that it would invert the chart, and secondly, the value changes during the sprint, so you can't burn on it.

Suggest an answer