Why are the description and comments sections on a Jira issue not spanning over entire field width?

Heidi Richards March 18, 2024

How can I have the description and comments fields span across the entire field when not editing?

Screenshot 2024-03-19 092742.pngScreenshot 2024-03-19 092904.png

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2024

Hello @Heidi Richards 

Welcome to the Atlassian community.

If you hover your mouse over the text in the field, what does the shading show for the field size?

Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 4.54.18 PM.png

Have you tried another browser application?

If you click into the field does that change how the text is displayed? I'm wondering if there are carriage-return/new-lines imbedded in the text.

Hi Trudy, 

Thanks for the reply.

1. If you hover your mouse over the text in the field, what does the shading show for the field size?
Yes, when I hover over the field the shading shows the entire field width in grey shading.

2. Have you tried another browser application?
Just have now.  It looks okay in MS Edge but not when I use Google Chrome.

3. If you click into the field does that change how the text is displayed?

Yes, the text will span across the entire field.

So looks like an issue when I use Google Chrome - my preferred web browser :-( 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2024

Have you tried a Chrome Incognito window? If there is some cached data affecting the display, then it should display correctly in an Incognito window. Then you would know you need to clear your Chrome cache.

Like Heidi Richards likes this

Thanks Trudy. It works well when using Chrome Incognito.

I've cleared the Chrome cache and re-opened the web browser but still not displaying as needed.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2024

I don't seem to be able to replicate what you are seeing, and I work with Chrome all the time.

Could there be an extension you have enabled in Chrome that is affecting the display?

Have you checked with other users of the same Jira system who are also using Chrome to see if they have the same display issue?

Like Heidi Richards likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events