Why are closed Epics still showing up to Mark as Done in the left panel?

Bea Tea September 6, 2022

In the left panel of the Jira board all epics show up, even the items marked as Done/Closed. I have to manually select and "mark as done" on the board. 

Can someone explain why and what does it mean to mark it done this way?

2 answers

1 vote
Fabio Racobaldo _Herzum_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 6, 2022

Hi @Bea Tea ,

please take a look to the following troubleshooting article https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/epics-marked-as-epic-status-done-continue-to-appear-on-the-jira-software-board-779158631.html

Hope this helps,

Fabio

Bea Tea September 7, 2022

Yes it does. thank you

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2022

Hello @Bea Tea 

Epics have two status fields; the Status field that you see on al issue types, and a second field named "Epic Status".

The "Epic Status" field is the one affected by the "Mark as Done" option. This field is not shown in the Epic issue details view by default. It also is not set automatically, by default, when you change the Status field.

In my Jira instances I have made it a best practice to modify the workflow that is used for Epic issues so that each Status transition includes a Post Function to also update the "Epic Status" field appropriately. I set the "Epic Status" field to "Done" for all transitions to go to a "done" type of Status, and I set the "Epic Status" field to "To Do" for all transitions that go to a "not done" type of Status. This alleviates the need to manually use the Mark As Done option.

Bea Tea September 7, 2022

THank you !

Suggest an answer