Why are bug issues not visible in GreenHopper Scrum Board Plan view?

Riku Karjalainen August 20, 2012

Issues with type "bug" are not visible in BackLog list on GreenHopper Scrum Board Plan view.

Version info:

Agile project management for Kanban and Scrum software development powered by Atlassian GreenHopper (v6.0.1)

Bug tracking and project tracking for software development powered by Atlassian JIRA (v5.1.2#773-sha1:b805b97)

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

Status for those bugs is Open.

"Board Configuration > Filter > View in Issue Navigator" shows bugs correctly.

No any error messages in Jira server logs.

Is there anything I can do?

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 20, 2012
Do they have both the Sprint and Rank fields applied in the field configuration? Thanks, Shaun

Okay, thanks for pointing me to right direction. Problem was not issue type fields it was the custom "View Field Configuration" attached to Bug issues. Now Rank and Sprint fields are visible in the view configuration and Bugs are displayed on Sprint Plannign view.

Problem solved!

2 votes
Tom Moors
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2012

I encountered the same problem on an instance. The tips over here where a good start. By double checking the effective stored data in the database, I was able to fix The Problem.

By default, the Sprint field is configured to be applied to Epics, Stories, Tasks and Sub-tasks. When you create a new Bug, this custom field will not be added to the issue in the database. You can check this by searching with JQL:

"project=MY_PROJECT AND issueType=Bug AND Sprint is EMPTY"

nor

"project=MY_PROJECT AND issueType=Bug AND Sprint is not EMPTY"

Will return the bugs.

To fix this, be sure that you add the Sprint field to your issue type. Do this by going to the "Custom Fields" page in your administration (http://yourjirainstance/secure/admin/ViewCustomFields.jspa).

Here, go to the Sprint custom field, click the Cog icon on the right and select "Configure".

On this page, you can see if the field is configured for your Bug issue type. If this is not the case, click next to "Applicable contexts for scheme" on "Edit Configuration". On this page, cmd/ctrl click in the list to select the Bug issue as well and hit Modify.

You now fixed the problem for all the new bugs that are created. For the existing bugs, we'll need to add the Sprint custom field. To do this, we'll perform a bulk change.

1. Go to the issue navigator and search the following filter:
    project = "MY PROJECT" and issuetype = Bug
  2. Click Tools -> Bulk Change All
  3. Select all and press Next
  4. Select "Edit Issues" and press next
  5. Search for the Sprint field, select the box and type a number, eg 1. (Don't worry, we will remove this value in a moment). Uncheck the last checkbox for sending mails and click next.
  6. Press confirm.
  7. Repeat until Step 5, now select the checkbox next to Sprint and make sure the field is empty.
  8. Click next and confirm. You now have added to Sprint field to your existing issues.

By now, you should see your bugs showing up in your Rapid Board.

1 vote
Thomas Heidenreich
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012

I have (maybe exacty) the same problem - try opening the bug issues to edit mode and save them without changing anything. Do they appear now? If yes, you got the same problem as me (I already filed a support ticket)

Seems to have something do do with indexing and creating a new board/filter combination...

Sorry, but the answer is no. Opening, editing nor reindexing don't bring any bugs to Sprint Plan view.

Now I have also added StoryPoint field to bug issues and done reindexing after that, nut no bug in the Plannig view.

1 vote
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 20, 2012
They should be. Try checking that the filter for the board does not filter them out and that they are in a status that is mapped to one of the columns on the board. Thanks, Shaun

Suggest an answer