Why are Sub-Tasks (particularly their Story Points) not visible in the Sprint Report and Burndown Chart?

Martin Probert February 6, 2013

We're using Greehopper Version 5.10 and have added two sub-tasks to an Issue. Points were assigned to the sub-tasks but not the parent Issue. These were added to a Sprint after the start date. The parent Issue is listed in the Sprint Report and Burndown Chart, but not the sub-tasks.

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 7, 2013

Agile as a discipline is not about the nitty-gritty of subtasks, but the bigger picture of Stories and Epics. For best results, estimate and track against Stories and group them int6o Epics (GreenHopper 6.1 or later) for hierarchal use.

0 votes
Ted Husted July 24, 2013

The Sprint Report and Burn Down report does not give you credit for sub-tasks, you have to complete all of the sub-tasks, and then close the parent issues, to get the story points.

0 votes
John Chin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2013

Hi Martin,

There is a KB for this case, kindly here.

Martin Probert February 7, 2013

I'm afraid I don't understand the relevance of the answer. My problem is not about the Planning Board. It releates to the Sprint Report and the Burndown Chart. Both are showing Points allocated to Tasks and all other Issue types, but not Sub-tasks.

Martin Probert February 7, 2013

The KB does not answer my question. We have Greenhopper configured to show all issue types in the sprint reports but we are not seeing the Sub-Tasks (they do appear under the Parent Issue in the Planning Board therefore this doesn't appear to be a ranking problem). Why are sub-tasks not appearing in the Sprint Report and Burndown Chart?

Anil.Bulle February 18, 2016

Facing the same issue, I vote for Martin.Probert.

Is there any reason why the sub-task story points doesn't shows up in sprint/burndown report.

Suggest an answer