• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Why am I unable to associate a field to a screen?

I'm setting up a classic software project and wanted to use a custom field that was created in a Next Gen project. If I go to the Default Field configuration as shown below:

Default Field Configuration.png

It shows the field as not being associated with any screens. When I edit the configuration I am unable to find that field to change it's configuration. I am also unable to find it in the custom field list. 

Field Configuration.png

I am also unable to add the field to the screen.Issues Configure Screen.png

What am I not understanding here? If this is one of the things you can't do with mixed systems then why does it show up in the original Field configuration screen if it can't be added to the project.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Fazila Ashraf Community Leader Nov 19, 2020

@Danno  , 

Fields in next-gen projects are contained within the project itself. Currently, you can't share a field created in one next-gen project with another next-gen project, or with a classic project. Similarly, you can't use a custom field created in a classic project on your next-gen project issues

Refer to https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/available-custom-fields-for-next-gen-projects/

@Fazila Ashrafthank you for finding what I suspected to be true. Atlassian needs to do a better job of hiding fields that aren't available for use across projects. In fact the more I learn about Next-Gen projects the less I like them. It goes against the good practices of keeping your instances clean by not cluttering up the system with extra fields. Oh well.

Like Fazila Ashraf likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,121 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you