Why Jira distribute my worklog time over several days?

Patrick Aupin April 1, 2020

We have a project, that has a task with several sub-tasks. Each subtask has an estimate and a start date. We create worklog for those subtasks every 3-4 days. Which means we log dozens of hours at a time and sometimes close to 100 (there are several developers on the same subtask)

To create the worklog, we open the main task and use the option beside each subtask in the list of subtasks.

A user entered the time (50.4h) on March 25th, and in Jira I have those worklogs:

March 20th (Friday) : 8h

March 23rd (Monday) : 8h

March 24th : 8h

March 25th : 26.4h

I didn't see the user enter the time, but I trust that he didn't split the time himself. But I've never seen Jira doing that. It decided to start logging time on the 20th and put the remaining the day the worklog was created. That 20th doesn't fit with anything. It's not the start of the main task nor the start of the subtask. I tried to reproduce this by creating a similar ticket in an other project and the full time was log only one worklog.

Do you know of any configuration/feature/addon that would have this result when entering a big worklog?

We are using the timesheet and report gadget but the user tells me the worklog was not entered in those fields/screens. I checked the config and I have nothing configured to limit the hours per day and anyway it put 26.4h the last day.

I'm completely lost on this

Thank you

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andriy Zhdanov
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 2, 2020

Hi Patrick,

As for Timesheet Reports and Gadgtes, it can split hours by days, indeed, when time is entered in days, e.g. 3d, please see also https://primetimesheet.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/KB/blog/2019/03/21/594837514/Split+Time+Spent+by+Days

Thank you.

Patrick Aupin April 2, 2020

I've tested it with both 3d and 24h and it matches the behavior we have in the tickets. Doesn't match what the user said he did, but it's the most probable cause. Thank you for that answer, it 's probably what happened.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events