Why I cannot file a bug report

Ľudovít Lučenič November 6, 2017

Hi, I found a bug in Time reporting & Work log section in JIRA, but I am unable to report that bug. The error I get is "User doesn't have the 'Assign issues' permission". I would attach a screenshot here, if it were an option here :-(

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 6, 2017

Hi there,

Where were you trying to raise the bug, from jira.atlassian.com?

You should be able to attach the screenshot in a reply to this comment. Can you give it a try and let us know how to replicate the issue? It will help if you can also include your Jira version.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Ľudovít Lučenič November 8, 2017

Hello,

I tried jira.atlassian.com. Here is the error message I get:

Obrazovka_20171106-160113.png

The bug I have found can be reproduced in Log work form as shown on the screenshot below:

Obrazovka_20171106-154408.png

Once you click on the calendar icon, the date-time picker pops up with a totally random date. This is rather confusing, because not every time you notice the wrong month and you end up then with work logged to some other point in time. I suspect the problem lies in localized environment. where the popup component does not correctly recognize the date format used.

Thank you for your assistance.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 9, 2017

Thank you.

I reported the issue you had submitting the bug to our Customer Support Technology team.

Could you please translate the two lines from your screenshot that starts with Z* and then the radio button you selected? I assume it's saying "Upgrade automatically" but please verify with me. Then I'll be able to find more information on that functionality.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Ľudovít Lučenič November 10, 2017

Hi Shannon,

the translations are as follows:

Zaznamenať priebeh práce = Log Work

Zostávajúci odhad = Remaining Estimate

Upraviť automaticky = Update automatically

however, all of the fields and their names are irrelevant, as their respective values do not have any impact on the behaviour of the date-time picker.

The field Dátum spustenia (Start date) is prefilled with current timestamp and it is done in a format that probably does not correspond with what the picker expects to properly initialize its calender. I have a suspicion that if the format of the date in the field was prefilled as "06. nov 2017 15:43", i.e. short month name instead of the long name, it could work.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 10, 2017

Thank you Ľudovít,

If it was a specific date picker that was having the issue, I wanted to be sure what the Jira English equivalent was before proceeding.

However, upon closer look of your screenshot, I can tell what the issue is.

The date you have in the text field is 06 November 2017, 15:43. But the calendar is showing 15 June 2017. It seems that the your desired day and the month that is displaying have been swapped, as well as your desired hour, which is swapped with the day that is displaying. So it doesn't seem random, but there's an issue with your date formatting.

Have a look at Changing the Due Date Input Format for further details.

• There are two places in Jira where you would need to update the date picker format. One is in General Configuration, Advanced Settings.
  • These four lines in Advanced Settings specifically:
    • jira.date.picker.java.format
    • jira.date.picker.javascript.format
    • jira.date.time.picker.java.format
    • jira.date.time.picker.javascript.format
  • In addition, whatever you have there needs to match your Look and Feel. (System > Look and Feel > Date/Time Formats (at the bottom of the page)

If you're not able to determine the formatting issue, please send me a screenshot of both of those sections (Advanced Settings and Look and Feel date format settings)? Then I will be able to tell you exactly what you will need to change.

Lastly, I have an update on you not being able to submit a bug earlier. We had recently changed the process where bugs would need to be submitted through support, and feature requests can be created directly within jira.atlassian.com by the customer. You can see this on the System Dashboard of jira.atlassian.com:

Create a new bug report or feature request

To report a new bug: Create an issue in our support system . The team will work with you to reproduce and verify your report.

To create a feature request: Log in or create an account, then hit Create in the header.

The Bug request type is not currently restricted apart from Feature Request, which is why you were able to initiate the creation but not finish it. Our Customer Support Technology team is working on a way to correct this to prevent other users from running into the same problem when attempting to create a bug.

Thank you again for reporting that!

Kind Regards,

Shannon

Suggest an answer