Which Jira feature can help to automatically tell project teams when shared programs are in use

Kevin D_Andrade January 9, 2021

An example is we have a number of projects with many different teams that use many of same base programs in our network. If I want to find a way to manage and identify when one project affects another project due to using these same base resource programs (i.e to avoid conflict) What Jira feature or Plugin should I use?

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2021

Hi @Kevin D_Andrade

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

From the looks there is nothing available out-of-the-box for a complex logic.
In case some basics would suffice you could work with Issue Links (assuming the program files are recorded as Jira Issues so they can be linked to other issues):

You then could query for them and display information in a filter. Some examples are contained in this blog post using functions like linkedIssues(issueKey, linkType) and hasLinkType(linkType).

In order to implement logic like warnings for conflicts I doubt there will be something easy available - at least you would need to write lines of own code.
Probably some kind of visualization App that shows dependencies from one issue to another could help you - https://marketplace.atlassian.com provides tons of Apps for nearly every use case, I would start searching for Apps capable of drawing dependencies.

Cheers,
Daniel

Kevin D_Andrade January 10, 2021

Thanks Daniel. Will look into it.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2021

Hi @Kevin D_Andrade

I'm not sure I understand the request but I find it very interesting. Do you want to track software applications that are used by different teams or projects? I'm not aware of a Jira feature of plugin that can scan scan your software dependencies like that. You could have teams populate a custom field with the programs they use (or they can select them from a list) and then you could query tickets on all projects for a specific entry in that field. 

There is something called dependency managers, which are "software modules that coordinate the integration of external libraries or packages into larger application stack" (e.g. check https://medium.com/prodsters/what-are-dependency-managers-26d7d907deb8), but I'm not sure this is what you're looking for.

Kevin D_Andrade January 9, 2021

Thanks Carlos I will look into it.  My question, for example, was relating if I have a number of Jira Projects and each project has a number of issues (issues being tasks). Let's say I want to assign a program file eg jquery.js to an issue/task#1 but then in another project in a different issue/task#2 someone else wants to assign the program file jquery.js also.  In this example I would like to be able to:

1. Know if it is possible to assign a program file to an issue.
  2. When it is assigned, I want to know that when issue/task#2 attempts to assign the program file jquery.js as well that these conflicts can be visible or some sort of warning tell the user that the program file is already assigned to issue/task#1.

If there any tutorials on how to do 1) and or 2) please advise or point me in the direction. I know Jira has their https://training.atlassian.com but i'm looking for a specific location/tutorial. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events