Where is atlassian-greenhopper.log configured?

Bernd Adamowicz June 30, 2014

After installing Atlassian Agile-Plugin the logs are generated below $JIRA_HOME/log/atlassian-greenhopper.log - which is fine. And I know that I can change the log level in Jira with the menu System -> Logging & Profiling. However, there seems to be no configuration file to make logging changes permanent. So what is the best way to configure Agile? Put an additional greenhopper configuration into atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/log4j.properties?

Thanks in advance!

Bernd

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bernd Adamowicz June 30, 2014

Tried this out and put these lines into log4.properties:

log4j.appender.agilelog=com.atlassian.jira.logging.JiraHomeAppender
log4j.appender.agilelog.File=atlassian-greenhopper.log
log4j.appender.agilelog.MaxFileSize=20480KB
log4j.appender.agilelog.MaxBackupIndex=5
log4j.appender.agilelog.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
log4j.appender.agilelog.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %t %X{jira.username} %X{jira.request.id} %X{jira.request.assession.id} %X{jira.request.ipaddr}%X{jira.request.url} %m%n
log4j.logger.com.atlassian.greenhopper = INFO, agilelog

And I also added the new log to the LogMarker property:

log4j.logger.com.atlassian.jira.util.log.LogMarker  = INFO, console, filelog, soapaccesslog, ..., agilelog

This will create also an additional entry on the Logging & Profiling page:

However, when adding those lines:

# Don't do this
# log4j.logger.com.atlassian.greenhopper.plugin.sampledata.JiraImportersPluginInstallerImpl = INFO, agilelog
# log4j.logger.com.atlassian.greenhopper.service.logging.LogSupport = INFO, agilelog

this will mess up logging of Agile. No log file will be written at all. Would be nice to know what's going on there. However, my question is answered. Thanks Vijay!

Areg Vrtanesyan _Work_ July 15, 2016

Is this still applicable to JIRA 7.x software?

0 votes
Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2014

Hi,

I guess its the only option. Put additional appender in log4j.properties.

Vijay

0 votes
Vijay Khacharia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2014

Hi,

I guess its the only option. Put additional appender in log4j.properties.

Vijay

Suggest an answer