Where are users use LDAP (Microsoft AD) stored

Jason Yeung June 14, 2021

Hi,

I've setup JIRA server so that we would invite users in order to create them. Once the user accepts the invite, the user would be created. It is configured to use the LDAP (Microsoft active directory) instead of the internal directory.

I was wondering when the user is created, does it still save into teh JIRA database? (e.g.  to the "cwd_users" table?). 

Sincerely,

Jason

1 answer

0 votes
Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2021

Yes, the cwd_user table does hold some information about users that are managed in AD.

Jason Yeung June 15, 2021

@Payne ,

thanks for your response. I'm current running into the following issue. I ran a SQL query to check the cwd_users table for a couple of users: itsupport and tushar. It currently returns 1 record (for itsupport).

cwd_user sql.JPG

When I go to the Users Directory section and set the "Jira Internal Directory" ahead of LDAP (Microsoft Active Directory) and then search for "jiraadmin" as the user name, I get itsupport. (expected result):

1_internal directory.JPG

However when I make LDAP (Microsoft Active Directory) ahead of "Jira Internal Directory" and then search for "jiraadmin", I get the email for tushar:

2_ldap.JPG

I'm trying to set the LDAP to be the top one, but it seems to be picking an email that is not stored in the cwd_users table. I was wondering if this information is stored elsewhere besides the cwd_users table? Would it be cached somewhere?

Jason

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2021

I see that you have 2 users with a username of jiraadmin - one in the internal directory and one in your defined LDAP directory; I guess that explains the difference in which one is returned via the interface depending upon the order of the directories. Though, I would expect them both to be returned.

Your SQL looks fine, and I would expect it to return 2 rows. Perhaps the "tushar" address has a leading or trailing space? Maybe try a where clause of where email_address like '%tushar@binarystream.com%' You could also try where user_name='jiraadmin' 

Jason Yeung June 16, 2021

@Payne ,

I expected 2 rows as well, as I thought it stores records in cwd_user, even if it uses LDAP. I'm starting to think it caches the results somewhere.

I tried to check email_address like '%tushar%', but no records are turned. When I checked user_name = 'jiraadmin', only 1 record appears, which is the one in the original screenshot.

Jason

Payne
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 17, 2021

Hmm, I'm at a loss, then. In our installation, our AD users are all in the cwd_user table.

Suggest an answer