When will the classic functionality be removed

Nigel Borrill October 23, 2012

Will the classic function in Greenhopper continue indefinitely or will we suddenly find that it is removed in an future update

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nigel Borrill October 30, 2012

Thanks for the helpful comments.

I dont think Atlassian will answer this question in the near future.

0 votes
Scott Ocamb October 23, 2012

I agree that there is not much clarity on this topic. I have begun adding some details to the missing features that affect me in my most current blog http://turnberrysolutions.com/ocambonconsulting/

I plan to continue to work throught this and eventually add feature requests to the backlog for GH 6.0.

For now I plan to use the Classic version until I can get my head around the full affect of the missing featues in GH 6.0

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2012

Check the existing issues before adding new ones. People have already started making their requests.

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 23, 2012

I quote about the lifetime for the classic boards from the following url:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/The+Future+of+GreenHopper

In GreenHopper 6.0 we have pushed the existing boards (Planning, Task, Chart and Released Boards) to a Classic Mode, and dropped the "Rapid" title for the new board. The existing functionality on the Classic Planning, Classic Task, Classic Chart and Classic Released Boards will continue to be available for a number of releases until it becomes clear that the majority of customers have switched over.

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2012

There is also some missing functionality that the classic boards have, but the new boards does not have that hopefully will be fixed over time.

Nigel Borrill October 23, 2012

Thats not really very clear is it. How will they know when the majority of customers have switched over ?

I cant understand why a migration path has not been provided !

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 23, 2012

First, I am not an Atlassian employee, but I do think it is clear in this particular case. First, the old boards are not being removed any time soon. Atlassian has no plans to remove the old boards, but will consider it in the future.

How will Atlassian know when it becomes clear? There is a greenhopper configuration option for the Greenhopper labs to collect analytics. They can ask their customers, the early adopter program also gives them feedback. There are ways to get a 'clear' view of usage.

Atlassian has put out notices including questions on this board about some future changes. Have they done a good job at it, absolutely not. Have they (choose your own word(s) here) with their customers not being able to upgrade because of changes they made, absolutely, but not in this case. The old functionality is there along with new functionality. If you are enticed to use the new functionality, but cannot, then ask for those improvements.

You cannot plan for a migration path until a decision is made and it is very clear no decision to remove the old boards have been made. Hopefully, they will put out a notice like the url I pointed you to when they decide to pull the functionality.

Atlassian deserves to be scolded for some of the recents changes they have done, but this is not one of them.

Suggest an answer