When starting an issue, add it to the current iteration

Ryan Courtnage February 27, 2013

I'd like to know if it's possible to create a workflow that will automatically add any story a developer "Starts" to the current Greenhopper iteration. We plan our iterations in advance and put certain stories in it using GH's "Plan" mode. However, reality always strikes and developers have to perform unplanned work. When starting an issue that isn't in the current iteration, is it possible to create a workflow to put it in?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

Hi there,

By default, it may not be possible to automatically add a newly created issue to a current Sprint in GreenHopper. And there's no existing ready made post function that may help us to achieve this as well, I'm sorry for this.

Anyway for your information, when an issue is added to a Sprint, then the Sprint field of that issue will be populated with the associated Sprint name. Since this is the case, I believe that we can add an issue to a Sprint by actually populating that field itself.

Hence if you are interested to develop a new post function to achieve this functionality, then this perhaps may something that you would like to check first.

I hope that the info helps!

Ryan Courtnage February 27, 2013

I've given this a try, and it works. However, it's not really usable as the field has no auto-complete capability. For example, I have a sprint named "Iteration 7", however to make it work, i need to enter the number "5" into the field.

So maybe somethign could be built around this, but it's unusable as-is.

Thanks!

Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2013

Hi,

Yes, actually the Sprint field is not meant to be populated by users manually, as it is used for GreenHopper to track which Sprint that the issue belongs to. So basically when you add an issue to a Sprint in the Planning Board, then GreenHopper will update the Sprint field automatically with the Sprint ID. Hence, the auto-complete feature is not implemented for the field.

Anyway in order to achieve your requirement here, I believe that you may need to create a post function or something similar, to automatically add a newly created issue to a Sprint programmatically by populating the Sprint custom field.

Ryan Courtnage February 28, 2013

thanks (although I'm not sure what a post function is or how to create one)

Suggest an answer